Thread: Computer Genius?

Administrator

Computer Genius?

Folks,

Laptop has Windows 8.1!

Power it on, goes through the normal process but then it goes to this window

After that it says Preparing Automatic Repair and ends up with just a black screen. If I move the mouse, the cursor appears, and some of the functions such as screen off, touchpad off, etc are working.

Tried.....
    Booting into Safe Mode with F8, but apparently it boots so fast it cant be used.
    Shift F8
    Win Key + P, Up (or Down Arrow), Enter and type password.....as log on window might be behind it

Nothing I can find on the internet has worked, can manage to get F2 to work into the BIOS.

Thick that I am, I never made a recovery USB

Kind of stuck now - anyone know where I can download a recovery, or is it specific to the software on the laptop!

Any help appreciate, as working off the phone is NOT fun!

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Computer Genius?

Quote Originally Posted by Curran
    Folks,

Laptop has Windows 8.1!

Power it on, goes through the normal process but then it goes to this window

After that it says Preparing Automatic Repair and ends up with just a black screen. If I move the mouse, the cursor appears, and some of the functions such as screen off, touchpad off, etc are working.

Tried.....
    Booting into Safe Mode with F8, but apparently it boots so fast it cant be used.
    Shift F8
    Win Key + P, Up (or Down Arrow), Enter and type password.....as log on window might be behind it

Nothing I can find on the internet has worked, can manage to get F2 to work into the BIOS.

Thick that I am, I never made a recovery USB

Kind of stuck now - anyone know where I can download a recovery, or is it specific to the software on the laptop!

Any help appreciate, as working off the phone is NOT fun!
    3 options i can think of
    Borrow a disk?
    Boot it of another machine using usb to usb?
    Make a recovery file off another machine using a usb key?

Have you tried swapping the memory from one port to the other as one could be faulty?

if it has Windows 8.1 from factory, take a look at Acer website or manual, there should be something about 'how to restore to factory settings' but you'll lose all personal data

BMWHaus Guru

Computer Genius?

On the older acers it was alt and f10 but I'm pretty sure you now need to access the recovery console but hitting f8 on boot.

Just keeping tapping f8 when it boots

Administrator

Had been mashing the F8 as fast as I could and several attempts. ..no joy!

Ideally I need to keep the data on the computer.

Buy a Mac.

Administrator

Giz a loan! :P