Thread: Best Oil for M52B28?

BMWHaus Guru

Best Oil for M52B28?

Hi,

I'm going to be changing the oil in the 328i in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering what the best oil for it is? I'm reading conflicting reports on it.

So far from searching I've seen:

0W30
    5W30
    5W40
    10W40

And also 10W60 which seems a bit too viscous, unnecessary and I wont be putting it in.

What oil do you use?

Castrol recommends 5W40 and I think I'll go with that, just want to make sure.

Thanks,

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Best Oil for M52B28?

yes definitely get good oil and the correct grade or you hydraulic tappets (HVA) will be noisy, i made that mistake before by using wrong oil and soon as i changed it back it stopped the tappets being noisy.

BMWHaus Guru

Thanks lads, will go for castrol edge 5W40 so

BMWHaus Guru

Hmmm now I'm confused, this is from Castrol (taken from an archived thread on driver):

EDGE 5W-30 - this meet the latest BMW LL04 - can be used in any BMW apart from the M3/M5, and I would recommend this for all cars listed above, but especially for petrol cars after 2004 and cars with diesel particulate filters fitted as this oil is classed as low SAPS ( low ash for DPF equipped cars ) and is the nearest retail oil to the BMW dealer product. Probably the best oil to keep in bulk for service fill.

EDGE 5W-40 / EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40 - meets BMW LL04 so can be used for any cars - but probably best for older cars with higher mileage and some wear where some oil is being burnt - this offers the enhanced performance of a full synthetic - but with a thicker viscosity to help with oil usage from wear - this is also a good product for cars that can use the EDGE Sport 0W-40 and has an extra lubricity additive for excellent top end protection. Probably the best oil for older cars with high mileages.

So would I be best using 5W-30?

BMWHaus Guru

Best Oil for M52B28?

Either will be fine, if your engine is low mileage 5w30 would prob suit best, an older worn engine might burn a thinner oil in which case the 5w40 would be better. In the past I've used lots of different grades in my M43 but as it's got a few miles under its belt now it seems to be happiest using 0w40 or 5w40.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by John_D
    Either will be fine, if your engine is low mileage 5w30 would prob suit best, an older worn engine might burn a thinner oil in which case the 5w40 would be better. In the past I've used lots of different grades in my M43 but as it's got a few miles under its belt now it seems to be happiest using 0w40 or 5w40.
    Thanks, from what I've been reading 5W30 will probably suit my engine a bit better, just hit 25K miles yesterday

Best Oil for M52B28?

Iv Fuchs 5w30 in my E46 323 101 thousand miles with no problems at all. It's spec for LL04