Thread: honest advice needed ; broken 330d

BMWHaus Contributor

honest advice needed ; broken 330d

Have a big problem
    have a 04 e46 330d sport autobox with fully loaded spec,* in big trouble with the dreaded swirl flap As one I'd missing and there is bent valve and piston damage
    I don't know what to do as to repair this is not viable and a engine replacement might be a better idea but depending on price , I'm seriously thinking selling it as is for a realistic price or else il break it as it's high spec and need to recover some money
    the car is black with full m sport kit and black leather, xenons pdc TV sat nav dvd blue tooth etc etc
    am really stressed with this at this stage and don't know what to do
    at first I thought it was a dodgy injector and did a compression test and proved the worst .
    any honest opinion s or advice please

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

RE: honest advice needed ; broken 330d

Breaking even obviously greatly depends on what you have invested in the car. Breaking it is most likey your most cost effective option, however have you priced a rebuild for the ingested swirl flap? It might be a case of stick a few quid in it to come good again and prepare to drive it for the forseeable. If you wish to just cut your losses, well then the good news is that a lot of the parts you will have available are always in demand but these days not for a premium..catch 22 I'm afraid.

Sorry to hear anyways, its a pain in the ar£e

BMWHaus Contributor

Been through this myself with a 320cd, some dose to be honest, turned me off diesels completely. I choose to go down the engine replacement route and it didn't work out too expensive (less than 2k including price of replacement engine, recon turbo and labour). I'd get on to Conor Healy or Ben O Brien as both have carried out rebuilds after swirl flap damage, it might not be too expensive.

I got my money back when I sold the car a few months later but then again 330d's aren't as easy sell due to dear tax etc.

Hard one to call really.

BMWHaus Guru

Which engine is it? 193 or 201? Vacuum actuated or servo actuated turbo?

BMWHaus Contributor

m57 n the newer engine with 204 bhp i believe

BMWHaus Guru

If you decide to break and if the turbo is a servo actuated turbo i would be interested in the engine.