Thread: E46 phone-prep removal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

E46 phone-prep removal

Hi All,

I have recently picked up an e46 M3 and it has the old skool Nokia 6210 snap-in kit in the centre console. Does anyone know if it's an easy job to swap this out and put in the cup-holder unit?

Looks like the unit around the phone snap-in kit would have to be removed, my car does have the front arm rest so I know that will block part of the cup holder but mainly I want it for easy reach storage on the go and then my plan is to just get a Bluetooth kit so I can take calls on the go and not pick up any points :wink:

Anyone got any experience with this retro-fit/removal of the phone kit?

Thanks,
    Keith

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E46 phone-prep removal

Unclip the old console, clip in the new one. Your car obviously has bluetooth already - so not sure why you want to pick up another kit? Pair your phone and then just relocate the pairing button, you can hide it under your new cupholders.

Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt
    Unclip the old console, clip in the new one. Your car obviously has bluetooth already - so not sure why you want to pick up another kit? Pair your phone and then just relocate the pairing button, you can hide it under your new cupholders.
    Exactly the approach I took when retrofitting the cup holders and ditching the Nokia cradle. The pairing button was relocated under the coin tray for ease of access (in the event of re-pairing or changing phones). No need for an additional BT system.

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks Lads, I need to play around with the radio/Bluetooth because it seems temperamental at times, like it won't let me answer a call via the buttons on the steering wheel but instead answer it on the phone itself and then after several seconds the car picks it up.

Ciars pm heading your way, sounds like you've done exactly what I want to do.

BMWHaus Guru

Having issues with the factory BT in thw compact too.

Mostly have to manually pair the phone with the car now, whereas before
    it paired automatically as it should.

Presume it has stopped working right since updating the phone software.

Anyone know a fix for this?

Same thing happened me DonB after a SW update on a previous phone. It never worked reliably again with that particular phone. All subsequent phones have been perfect. I'm afraid that unless you undo the phone changes, there is not an awful lot you can do (or at least I couldn't, and I exhausted EVERY avenue at the time )

BMWHaus Guru

Cheers for that Ciaran. Phone is getting upgraded to a Galaxy S5 so wondering will that work? Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Don B
    Cheers for that Ciaran. Phone is getting upgraded to a Galaxy S5 so wondering will that work? Hmm
    Herself's is working fine in my car, so at a guess yes you will be fine. My own S2/S3/S4 have been fine in it. It was an old Nokia N8 that caused me issue a few years back.

BMWHaus Contributor

Any links to where to purchase the iphone adaptor?