Thread: Thoughts on e60 sport suspension / springs

Thoughts on e60 sport suspension / springs

Folks looking for some opinions please.

Currently my 2004 530D SE has what I believe to be standard suspension but with Dynamic Drive - VIN decoders show option S229A for Dynamic Drive but no code for suspension so i'm guessing it is just standard suspension.

I want to lower the car (not looking at coilovers) so i'm looking at both the Eibach Pro and Sportline kits.

I've been told to use sport springs like the Eibach kits I need to combine them with a sport shock which is fine as my shocks have 171k miles on them and I was going to upgrade them also - is this true can anyone confirm?

"M Sport" suspension is/was not available for cars with Dynamic Drive apparently but "Sport suspension" is/was available - what the difference between the 2 is I have no idea but I want to stick with an OEM shock so I am looking at Sachs which apparently where used for option S226A "Sport suspension".

I want to tighten her up as when driving over bumps slowly she is very floaty - mind you hitting roundabouts at any kind of speed and she sticks to the road - guessing thats the Dynamic Drive kicking in.

I'm thinking of going with Sachs "Sports suspension" shocks and an Eibach Sport kit but my one worry is will this rub on the arches with 3-4 people in the car especially since it has 19" Syle 172 Spiders all round.

Should I be looking at a Pro kit with Sport shocks instead maybe?

Cheers all

BMWHaus Guru

I don't think you'll have a problem with rubbing.

I don't know the difference between the m sport and sport suspension in the e60 but visually I think it looks much better in the pro kit than the sportline kit.

My springs have been in about a month now and have settled down nicely, the ride is absolutely outstanding, I'm very happy with the choice I made

Here's a photo of colms e60 on a pro kit vs another image I found of a car on sport lines

BMWHaus Guru

Also the advice re different shocks are correct, the damping is based on the stroke of the shock, the lower you make a car the shorter the stroke the less effective the shock is. The prokit is very close to OE ride highly so the original dampers work very well.

If you went lower you'd be better of with the B8's or something similar which will give a harsher ride.

RE: Thoughts on e60 sport suspension / springs

Colms car looks spot on!

Second pic looks too aggressive nearly...

Cheers Dave, so Pro kit with Sachs Sport suspension is probably the best compromise right?

First pic rear is a bit to high for my liking ,on second pic these are probably 20" so it will look lower.

Quote Originally Posted by dzwx
    First pic rear is a bit to high for my liking ,on second pic these are probably 20" so it will look lower.
    That's actually a good point!

Still be worried about rubbing though... that would kill me after all the effort getting the shocks and springs changed