Thread: Swap e30 crown and pinion into e36 diff?

Swap e30 crown and pinion into e36 diff?

Has anyone swapped the crown and pinion from a e30 diff onto a e36 lsd into a small case 168mm diff. As above anyone done this before / know if there is any differences in bolt pattern etc? Doesn't seem to be anything online about it. i know it can be done with the 188mm medium case but you need spacers on the bolts as e30 diff has m12 bolts and e36 m14 bolts.. is it the same for the small case or are bolts same size? Any info ye have would be appreciated. Thanks

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Swap e30 crown and pinion into e36 diff?

Quote Originally Posted by rusted86
    Has anyone swapped the crown and pinion from a e30 diff onto a e36 lsd into a small case 168mm diff. As above anyone done this before / know if there is any differences in bolt pattern etc? Doesn't seem to be anything online about it. i know it can be done with the 188mm medium case but you need spacers on the bolts as e30 diff has m12 bolts and e36 m14 bolts.. is it the same for the small case or are bolts same size? Any info ye have would be appreciated. Thanks
    Is it a specific ratio you are after?

Yes i have a 3.45 ratio in my lsd currently but want to upgrade to a 3.64 or something similar. Why do you ask?

BMWHaus Guru

Yes i have a 3.45 ratio in my lsd currently but want to upgrade to a 3.64 or something similar. Why do you ask?
    Reason I ask is I have a small case 3.64 lsd, afaik it was a rebuilt and reshelled unit from an e30.

I think CWP can be bough off ebay for little money it might make your job easier?

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Reason I ask is I have a small case 3.64 lsd, afaik it was a rebuilt and reshelled unit from an e30.

I think CWP can be bough off ebay for little money it might make your job easier?
    I know where i can get an e30 diff for next to nothing so was gonna use that crown and pinion for the swap. Where did you get your diff rebuild actually? Thanks.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Venom

I know where i can get an e30 diff for next to nothing so was gonna use that crown and pinion for the swap. Where did you get your diff rebuild actually? Thanks.
    I didn't as was done before the previous owner bought it from Valdas I think.