Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garth Brooks in Croke Park

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Garth Brooks in Croke Park

It seems there's lots of news at home today about the Garth Brooks concerts, ranging from hopes on the news at 7am that 5 nights might go ahead, but maybe on different nights with a break. Then later the Council said 3 nights are the max and almost at the same time a resident has filed a challenge to any concerts going ahead.

What are peoples views on this? Just thought I'd open it up to debate.

BMWHaus Guru

Garth Brooks in Croke Park

I suppose I should throw in my 2p first.

On balance I think all 5 nights should go ahead. It'd be great for the city & the country (even ifs a pain in the hole)

Administrator

RE: Garth Brooks in Croke Park

Nightmare for the residents - I can totally see where they are coming from!

Cant remember the figure, but was it something like 250 million for the economy, all things considered, if it goes ahead? All 5 should go ahead!

He wouldnt be my cup of tea though and listening to that for 5 nights would be painful.....the residents should rent their houses out....weeks holiday in the sun and probably still have a few quid extra...probably be people be mad to be in ear shot of the stadium! :P

I read somewhere the original agreement with residents made during redevelopment, Was 3 special events per year.
    There was 3 I Direction Concerts, They want 5 Gareth Brooks and there having an American Football thing later in the year.

3 days to set it too apparently, So that's nearly a week of disruption.

BMWHaus Guru

Defo should go ahead.

Buy a house beside a stadium and give out when somethings on??? Coooommmme oooooonnnn people!!!

Their just looking for money

Administrator

If you dont give out you get nothing for free!

BMWHaus Guru

I can totally see where the residents are coming from. I'm close enough to Kilmainham and the concerts there are annoying, I would hate to imagine what five nights of GB would be like!

Plus its not only the five nights, its the two weeks setting up and dismantling the stage with work going on throughout the night. I think what he is doing at the moment is out and out blackmail, the council should stick to their guns and tell him to f off.

I'm hoping no concerts go ahead, mainly due to the fact that I loath Garth Brooks and this can only lead to more hatred for him.

BMWHaus Guru

Working beside it I can see where they are coming from, 5 concerts is taking the pish alright. What people don't see is the complete lockdown on the area from lunchtime each day until well after midnight. It's a pain in the ass not just for the locals but for local business's too. We can argue that people bought beside the stadium knowing that this can happen but it's a GAA grounds, not a concert venue. Factor in the GAA matches in each weekend during the summer you'd soon get sick of it.

But yes it will bring a lot of dollars to the city but why not spread it around. Have some of the gigs down the country such as Cork etc.

Anyways, he's a has been and the gigs will be crap