Thread: How long are coilovers good for?

BMWHaus Guru

Lightbulb How long are coilovers good for?

I know it's a bit of "how long is a piece of string" question, but how long would one expect a reasonably good set of coilovers to last for? Something like BCs.

I have just under 100k on the e36 with original shocks/springs and they still feel tight and up for another few k. With average usage would you get 30-50k out of the coilovers? Or not even?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: How long are coilovers good for?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    I know it's a bit of "how long is a piece of string" question, but how long would one expect a reasonably good set of coilovers to last for? Something like BCs.

I have just under 100k on the e36 with original shocks/springs and they still feel tight and up for another few k. With average usage would you get 30-50k out of the coilovers? Or not even?
    I'd say more. I have JOM's in and I live in the sticks and on shit roads and they are still going strong. I do heavy mileage every week, will hit 180,000 this week or next and I think I put them in at 140,000 maybe.

BMWHaus Guru

The HSDs were on the Clubsport lasted until the guy I sold the car to trashed it. About 80k miles and still going.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    The HSDs were on the Clubsport lasted until the guy I sold the car to trashed it. About 80k miles and still going.
    Off topic but did he bin it? I saw it was for breaking on the other site. Such a shame as it was a lovely car

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Off topic but did he bin it? I saw it was for breaking on the other site. Such a shame as it was a lovely car
    Would PM but I'm sure Pete wont mind I was onto the guy that was breaking it there awhile ago and his exact words were "Car was wreck rear subframe pulled of chassis beam"?! My guess subframe went on it?

When I sold it was perfect (possibly hairlines, you know yourself, can't fully tell without removing the subframe) I'd say yer man dogged that car to death. Couple of my mates said they saw it and the guy was driving like a total tool.

Really regret selling it, (or could be lucky that I didn't end up with the subframe issue) especially for it to end up like that.

BMWHaus Guru

That sucks man was a really nice car! Your e36 is even better though

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    That sucks man was a really nice car! Your e36 is even better though
    Ah I'm delighted I've gotten the e36, keeps me busy!