Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Air Intakes/Induction Kits

BMWHaus Guru

Cold Air Intakes/Induction Kits

Hi lads,

I'm wondering are these worth it or are they a waste of money? I'm considering getting one while I'm doing the M50 manifold.

Do they make any difference?

Or is it just for induction sound? If so does it make much of a difference?

Or are they naff and just suck in hot air?

Advise would be great before I purchase one

Thanks

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Cold Air Intakes/Induction Kits

More for noise I think, manufacturers give some HP increase figures of in or around 3-5hp, not any way noticeable really. Definitely will need a heat shield though otherwise you're sucking in hot air. Some kits can be got with longer piping so the filter sits low on the front to get denser cold air as you drive, supposed to be better for mix ratio.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    More for noise I think, manufacturers give some HP increase figures of in or around 3-5hp, not any way noticeable really. Definitely will need a heat shield though otherwise you're sucking in hot air. Some kits can be got with longer piping so the filter sits low on the front to get denser cold air as you drive, supposed to be better for mix ratio.
    Thanks Paddy, you have a carbon Simota intake dont you? Would you notice the difference between that and the standard airbox?

Thinking about getting the Dave F on e36coupe, but its for an M3 so unsure if it will fit an M52.

BMWHaus Guru

Slight difference yeah but then I changed to EVO trumpets, rather than the s50 trumpets on the intake, the aim to get more out of the low end using the trumpets and simota combined. Was trying to increase from 286 to get near 300 by doing this but reduce top end which didn't bother me. The carbon on the simota is more for heat shielding too, as there is a cone filter in the centre. If everything was running smooth there would be a difference I guess but hard to tell now other than induction noise!

BMWHaus Guru

Cheers Paddy. Has me wondering if it worth it on the M52, have a good panel filter that would probably be as good?

Oh pm on the way for you too.

I had a k&n 57i gen2 kit and it made a huge difference to the low end grunt, any mods you make down the line will only be enhanced by better breathing in the intake so it's worth doing anyways.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Cheers Paddy. Has me wondering if it worth it on the M52, have a good panel filter that would probably be as good?

Oh pm on the way for you too.
    I've heard good things about Green panel filters!

PM received thanks!

BMWHaus Guru

I had a Simota on the 325 for a few years

After I sold the Simota, I thought the car was too quiet as standard, so bought an aFe from the US.

Now I can't hear that over the Eisenmann!

BMWHaus Guru

^ Moral of the story, BUY AN EISENMANN

I'd get a decent panel filter and leave it at that to be honest. Although if a DaveF popped up I would snap it up!

Dave F's stopped being made in 2009 or something, any that come up for sale are seriously old and have passed through god knows how many hands so I'd have no interest in them anymore. The GenII kits are the same concept just made better. People talk about Dave F kits like they are some sort of mystical holy grail item :huh: