Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help identify sensor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help identify sensor

I ran a diagnostic earlier only one fault code present so i want to order a camshaft sensor from bmw

Can anyone help identify the exhaust camshaft sensor on this for me i think its no.2 but want to be absolutely certain engine is m54b25

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Help identify sensor

Looks good to me. A word of warning though if you could get a lend of a good one to confirm your fault is with the sensor(only takes 5 mins to switch) . I have the same fault several sensors, wiring checks, vanos off and on twice, seals changed, solenoids cleaned and switched, solenoid pistons removed and cleaned and no difference. Last time I rebuilt vanos car ran great for 10 days and then power dropped again and fault registered. Hope a new sensor fixes your issue. Apart from the cam timing I am at loss, or have I missed something.

BMWHaus Guru

Number 1 no??

Mac did you replace with a genuine bmw sensor ?

Ketron - not sure but leaning toward two iv googled the part no. Now and its showing as exhaust so im 99% sure just looking for clarification

BMWHaus Guru

Only reason I said it, no 1 looks like the camshaft sensor on the E36, forgot there are two on the M54's. Deffo go with 2 then

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Mac did you replace with a genuine bmw sensor ?

Ketron - not sure but leaning toward two iv googled the part no. Now and its showing as exhaust so im 99% sure just looking for clarification
    My initial one was confirmed faulty. I did buy a febi one which passed the spanner test but didn't work in the car. I then got a switch from a car with no faults but it threw a fault in mine . Currently I have a oem one from a buddies parts car which didnt have any cam sensor faults before it was removed but in my car I have the fault.

Sounds like yours is a lot deeper then just the sensor from a quick read around it can only be 3 things duff sensor , wiring or ecu

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Sounds like yours is a lot deeper then just the sensor from a quick read around it can only be 3 things duff sensor , wiring or ecu
    Yea, looks like it, I did wiring continuity and voltage checks all good. Next step is get a few quid together and buy a brand new oem sensor,
    Is there much in changing an ecu, labour and cost wise.
    I can't find anything in the cars history that would involve the timing but have read it has been an issue for a few people but mostly m52s.
    if it were easy everybody would be driving cars like these

Ecu is very easy to remove and a cheap part used but will need coding back in

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

No - 2 is exhaust

No - 1 is inlet as comes with wire

same on all M52-M54 engines