Thread: my f***ing vanos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

my f***ing vanos

Here it is in a nut shell over the past 2 years I have a constant fault 18 inpa or 0369 obd reader, exhaust cam sensor, work so far done with fault still showing no change no matter what I have done. Passed 2 nct's with very low emissions. Car is 01 520 with m54 engine
    Replaced vanos seals
    Replaced exhaust cam sensor twice febi and oem (2nd hand confirmed operational on donor car)
    Replaced intake sensor
    Switched solenoids
    Cleaned pistons
    Numerous oil changes 6k interval
    Rebuilt vanos again (car ran fantastic for 2 weeks loads power ect then back to normal)
    I know sensor is working as when I turn.the car over by hand voltage on sensor stitches 0 to 5 volts
    My question is where to from here
    (1)is it cam timing
    (2)vanos unit (when rebuilt only thing was bearings on.piston.were a bit grumbly)
    (3)dme, I have read that there was an update to take into account "noise " or interference that may effect cam signal is this to do with m52 engine only.
    Is the dme fcuked?
    (4)should I get a brand new oem sensor
    (5)vanos oil supply line replace?
    (6)Anything else I should be looking at
    If it were your car where would go next all suggestions bar burning it welcome :wink:
    Cheers

BMWHaus Guru

my f***ing vanos

It's always sorry to read such a tale of woe, but then at least I know I haven't been alone with vanos issues.

The e36 was a complete pain with vanos issues for over a year. Cutting a long story short there was physical wear in the vanos unit itself that no amount of new seals or sensors will fix.

But you're looking for advice not empathy. If I was in your shoes I'd drop it off with Valdas and ask him to sort it.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: my f***ing vanos

Yes in.an ideal world it would have been there a long time ago, it boils down to is I just don't have the budget to cover someone going through a list of possibilities that could quickly mount up to the value of the car. Most of the work so far has only had involved a small few parts with a lot of my time (which is very cheap :wink.
    It's looking like i will have to bite the bullet, I am just checking is there anything I missed or something within my abilities that I can do next before handing it over.

BMWHaus Guru

my f***ing vanos

Inspection and diagnosis shouldn't cost the earth. Give the Russian a call and I'm sure he'll sort ou out