Thread: e30, what to look out for.

BMWHaus Contributor

e30, what to look out for.

Going looking at an 1990 e30 touring tomorrow, anything particular to look out for ? main places where they will rust ?

Only seen the car from the outside so far and from there only rust i seen was on the sun roof, bringing trolley jacks with me to get a proper look underneath as well.

NCT is out since 2008 but from what i have been told the asking price is very cheap so i know its going to need bit of work most likely but my main concern will be the rust.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: e30, what to look out for.

I think the scuttle panel gives awful trouble, in under the windscreen. Inner arches etc. That's just what I gather from doing a bit of reading on them myself. Anywhere that water sprays onto or can settle basically!

BMWHaus Guru

e30, what to look out for.

Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust Rust

I think you get the hint

BMWHaus Guru

And leaks, and torn subframes

Rust is the big thing, check scuttle panel, battery tray, arches, sills, bottom of wings, jacking points, and around the rear number plate. Oh and if it has a mech 2 kit there will be rust under the kit, other then that I wouldn't worry about bushings brakes suspension etc being worn/tired that can all be fixed handy enough

BMWHaus Guru

Did you buy it?