Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can i Boost FM Radio Reception

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How can i Boost FM Radio Reception

hey guys . i recently installed an Eonon D5124FE head unit into the E39

this kind of unit

but the radio reception has gone to shite since i did it , get a lot of static in places . anyone have any ideas how i could improve it ?

RE: How can i Boost FM Radio Reception

Dave did you get something like this with it

yup connected it but made no difference

Its been so long now what i did when fitting has just completely left my head but iirc the fm booster needs some sort of power to get it to function if that makes sense

Re: How can i Boost FM Radio Reception

I dont recall having to do any additional wiring though "i think" my antenna wire was just like this one which does not need wiring in

This isn't limited to your headunit iv seen it from all brands of all in ones including androids

BMWHaus Contributor

Do you know if you have power to your aerial amp located at at the rear screen side panel. You may have to splice a remote power wire from the wiring harness on your new unit to the car wire loom to power the amp.

dont know but i have crystal clear reception with standard radio when i plug it back in its just on the new unit ?

BMWHaus Contributor

The standard unit has a power supply to switch on the aerial amp. On your new unit this remote wire on the wiring harness may not be connected to the remote wire on the car side. There are plenty of wiring diagrams of the stereo wire looms on line, if it's not powered you can splice the correct wires together.
    You have checked the aerial connection.Sometimes depending where the unit came from it may be configured for foreign reception frequencies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Mac , im useless at this kind of thing, its like a different language to me . this is what i have . what i have connected is 1 , 2 and 22 is there anything obvious to you that i need??

BMWHaus Contributor

Hi, far from expert myself trial and error .did you find anything else relating to this on line I read about component issues with poor reception.
    firstly you need to confirm is your amp getting power open the rear panel and check amp.for power with a multimeter . If you see my diagram block A pin 13 this powers the aerial amp from the oem stereo. There are 2 remote wires on your unit 3 and 23 that would supply power to your amp these could be spliced to the wiring in your car that corresponds to the wire that would be connected to block A pin 13 if you catch my drift.I not too far from you if you get stuck give us a shout.