Thread: What are you using to treat bumper trim????

What are you using to treat bumper trim????

The black trim on my e36 are starting to go grey I've tried Auto Glym stuff but its back the same after a few days. Can someone please recomend a good product for me to use.

BMWHaus Guru

What are you using to treat bumper trim????

Gtechniq C4 should do the trick

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/c4-permanent-trim-restorer/

BMWHaus Guru

RE: What are you using to treat bumper trim????

C4 is the only job your wasting time and money otherwise, don't let the price turn you off, trust me on that one

BMWHaus Contributor

Take them off. Plastic prime them and put a few light coats of satin black. They will look brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by E46Padge
    Take them off. Plastic prime them and put a few light coats of satin black. They will look brand new.
    only issue with that is you lose the texture of the parts

BMWHaus Contributor

No you won't loose any of the texture with two light coats. I'll dig out pictures on my photobucket

I tried a heat gun on a Transit front bumper last week, Brought it from faded grey to black.
    Not sure how long it lasts though.

ETA: Just Googled about the heat gun, Some say it lasts months others a few days.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=244260

BMWHaus Contributor

I must try the heat gun next time. Cheers

Administrator

Need to be careful with the heat gun...it does a good job of bringing back the colour, but there is also risk of burning the plastic. Grand on a Transit, but not what you want to be doing on your pride and joy!

Without doubt gtechniq C4 is the market leader for trim restoration...it is expensive for the amount you get, but there is good reason...it works and its durable. Treating trim on a regular basis is a pain; so for the time you'd save alone; its worth it.

There are other options, that wouldnt be as durable, that double as tyre dressings, such as Orchards Glitz and Wolf's Chemicals Blackout, which if prepared well (as you need to do also for the C4) will last quite long.

Thanks for the info lads. I tried the heatgun on them and it actually did work they all came up like new, cheep fix and a good fix.....happy days.