Thread: The Rare/Unusual BMW Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

The Rare/Unusual BMW Thread

I thought this would be of interest to a few people, idea started by @[JohnH] and his recent thread on the 518g. Post up any unusual, rare, low production, coach built, prototype etc BMW whether it be official BMW or by recognised tuners, manufacturers such as Alpina, Hartge.

I will start the ball rolling.

BMW E12 530 MLE:
    The BMW 530 MLE had a special position at BMW South Africas model range. It was a spin-off product of the motorsport: In the year 1976 BMW SA modified a BMW 5 Series for racing in Germany with technical supervision of Mr. Peter Stark. The Schnitzer brothers from Freilassing built that car in order to the policies of the South African Modified Saloons. Two Solex 40/36 downdraft carburetors were fitted to the engine. The combustion chamber was hemispherical designed and a modified camshaft was mounted. Torsion bar stabilizers were added to optimize the R-curve behaviour in fast driven curves. A locked rear-axle differential (80 %) improved the handling characteristics substantially. Harder shock absorbers were also used. Four ventilated Lockheed brakes stoped the car. The brake discs came from the 3-Litre-Coupé. To get space for the large wheels the wheelhouses were made broader by plastic arches. At the right side, next to the drivers door, two big exhaust system pipes were mounted. The interior kept its homelike feeling. At the doors the panels were kept and at the rear the seat bench and the carped also. Only a racing cage reminds you, that this was a ricaing car. After the car was finished a Sabena-Cargo flew the car back to South Africa.
    Paul Rosche, he developed engines for the Formula one, was for BMW SA engines modifications responsible. An another BMW 525 was copied then to a 530 MLE clone to have two "Production Racer" in South Africa. Terms and conditions for the local touring car champinships was, that at least onehundred of these cars must be sold in South Africa. A hard job, because of the countrywide speed limit (90 km/h) an the MLE costed the double price of a standard BMW 520. But BMWs selling expectations were beaten. Totalle 218 (110 + 108) of these cars were manufactured. 216 of them were sold. In publications you'll find numbers of 201, 202 or 208 manufactured cars. During my local investigations at BMW Plant Rosslyn in 2006 I found out the real number: 1392 BMW 525 M(anual) were delivered as CKD to South Africa. 1174 were assembled to a real BMW 525. 217 VINs were given to BMW 530 MLE.
    The sedans, which were for sale, were painted in white (Ice white) or in the matallic colours Platinum or Sapphire blue. One car got a special paintwork and leather interior. The interior was fitteted with Scheel-Sportseats, that had a blue cloth upholstery. A 5 gear manual transmission was standard. The 6 cylinder engine was fited with a Zenith 38/40 INAT double carubretor. The rear aixle differential translation was 3.45 :1. The constructers focussed to reduce weight. So they drilled many holes at the body until it looked like a swiss cheese. Also the seats were made of light weight materials. The windows were made of thinner glass except the windscreen. Four brake discs, the two front ones were ventilated, were responsible for a short braking distance.

I was lucky enough to own one briefly, however it didn't make it to Ireland before it was sold.
    Attached Images Attached Images