Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rare/Unusual BMW Thread

RE: The Rare/Unusual BMW Thread

Nazca....

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/road/cars/rare_classics/bmw_nazca_c2.html

Re: The Rare/Unusual BMW Thread

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D
    Nazca....

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/vehicles/road/cars/rare_classics/bmw_nazca_c2.html
    And one for sale
    http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C220375
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Guru

More on the E30 333i:

The E30 333i was developed by BMW South Africa, BMW Motorsport & Alpina, and it was produced between 1985 & 1987. Vic Doolan and Bernd Pischetsrieder of BMW South Africa are credited for coming up with the original idea for the 333i. At that point in time, the E12 M535i.. (not the lightest of cars) ..was BMW’s most competitive car in South African motorsports. Even though BMW Germany was already developing the E30 M3, BMW SA chose the more traditional six cylinder route to produce its own potent 3-series. The 333i was originally conceived for competition in Group One, but the car was left without a formula when Group One racing was cancelled at the end of 1985.

E30 333i - 1985 to 1987 - 204 Units Produced

The selected engine for the 333i came from the 197hp E23 733i, which was chosen due to its free-revving characteristics. In many ways, the 333i is considered to be a smaller version of BMW SA’s 745i, which was powered by the engine from the BMW M1. The design specification was intended to be similar to the Alpina B6. In fact, to help offset production costs, the 333i used as many Alpina components as possible. The 7×16” Alpina 20 spoke alloy wheels were the most obvious. A few of the not so noticeable Alpina components were the car’s intake manifold, instrument panel, grille mounted auxiliary digital meters, three-spoke sport steering wheel, and gear shift knob.

Other upgrades from the standard E30 were the Recaro sport seats. A Bilstein-tuned suspension. A larger, more effective, braking system consisted of perforated rotors with eight-piston calipers on the front and six-piston calipers on the rear. To avoid cooling problems, the standard E30 radiator was replaced with a larger unit. Since there wasn’t enough room to accommodate both power steering and air conditioning, owners of the 333i were given the option of having either one or the other.

All 204 examples of the 333i were RHD and they were made between May of 1985 and October of 1987. Word has it that most of these cars had been entered into South African motorsport competition, but there’s no way of determining which cars and exactly how many. Of the 204 units that were produced, one vehicle was reportedly exported to BMW UK, while another 3 or 4 were imported into the UK privately. The 333i was available in 4 colors; Charcoal Black, Henna Red, Ice White and Aero Silver.

0-50 mph (80 km/h) 5.19 seconds
    0-100 km/h 7.23 seconds
    Top speed 231 km/h (144 mph)

BMWHaus Guru

And sticking with the South Africa theme, another special E30:

When it became clear that South Africa would not be getting the M3, the 325iS was created. Initially this was the same concept as the 325i Sport available in other markets; merely a 325i 2-door fitted with a body kit and a close-ratio gearbox (improving acceleration at the expense of top speed and economy). This model was available in 1989.
    However, consumers quickly demanded more performance, and in 1990 the EVO I was released. This model was a radical redesign of the car, featuring aluminium body panels, brakes and suspension from the M3, and a larger 2.7l engine sourced from Alpina, capable of 197hp. A limited number were produced to allow for homologation into saloon car racing.
    In 1991, a further update saw the release of the EVO II. While some of the body panels reverted back to steel, the engine saw even more performance with the addition of parts from the E28 535i, pushing power up to 210hp.
    Unlike the 333i where the options were fog lights or Air Conditioning , all 325is's were fitted with both. All cars were fitted with BBS X Spoke wheels.

EVO I
    First released in March 1990, the EVO I came fitted with front suspension and rear brakes from the E30 M3. The engine was the same M20B27 unit used in the Alpina C2 2.7, mated to a dog-leg close-ratio gearbox and LSD. Its bonnet, wings, boot lid and doors were all made from aluminium to reduce weight. The glass was a special tinted type made by Sundym.
    For the interior, the standard sport package was used featuring black carpet, sports seats in Anthracite upholstery, and a sports steering wheel. All models came with OBC, Aircon, cruise control. Paint was available in the typical M3 colours.

EVO II
    In March 1991 the first batch of EVO IIs was released. Fitted with all the same goodies as the EVO I, this model was beefed up to 155 kW (210 hp) by using the AFM and throttle body from a 535i. This allowed for a 0-62 mph time of just 7.5sec. Engines were still Alpina-derived units, but were built by BMW S.A who used selected heads from Alpina direct as well as using Alpina pistons. The EVO II also has a slightly longer duration cam shaft, which means at idle it was possible to hear the difference between and EVO I and EVO II. The model also benefitted from Alpina anti-roll bars, while the doors reverted back to steel construction.
    Externally, the EVO II is distinguished from the EVO I by 3 features:
    All EVO II's had a underbody splitter. This looks like a small black lip along the front spolier, but it was not cosmetic and ran from the front spoiler too the wheels, to help smooth the airflow under the body.
    The second enhancement was a slighlty lower set of springs, even though all 325iS EVO I and II used Bilstein dampers. The EVO II was a full 10mm lower then an EVO I.
    The third feature was the addition of rear headrests, while the very last models were also fitted with sunroofs.

BMWHaus Contributor

The Rare/Unusual BMW Thread

Great idea for a thread! Here is a BMW 700rs

Bmw 2002ti Diana http://classicandvintagebmw.tumblr.com/dianacandvbmwfb
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407268644.337373.jpg

Sent from my Telegraph machine using Morse Code

Re: The Rare/Unusual BMW Thread

It's 1987, and Dr. Karlhienz Lange, Adolf Fischer and Hanns-Peter Weisbarth, the very germanic gentlemen who would also be responsible for the 8 series BMW, decide to make a production ready 16 cylinder version of the e32 7 series.

Lange instructed Fischer to explore the possibilities beyond the M70 engine. And it was from then that the Secret Seven project was born and BMW’s first V16 engine came into fruition.

Less than six months after Lange gave the go ahead on the project, Fischer had a complete (and production ready) 6.7 liter V16 engine on a dynamometer on Christmas Eve in 1987. Naturally the numbers on the V16 engine were nothing short of impressive boasting 408 bhp at 5200rpm and 461 ft lb of torque at 3900rpm, more than 100bhp and 100 ft lb torque than the 5.0 liter V12. The engine was run by two Bosch engine management systems, essentially treating it as two straight-eight cylinders.

Within the walls of BMW, the Secret Seven project was also known as the “Goldfish”. Reason being, the 7 Series sedan that the V16 engine was fitted into was a golden color so the project was christened the Goldfish.

The V16 was 12 inches longer than the V12 in the engine bay. Naturally, this caused many problems, such as the fact there was no room for cooling. So, being pragmatic germans, the cooling was relegated to the rear of the car!

BMWHaus Guru

I would like a drive of that to see what a V16 is like. One of my favourite experimental cars.

BMWHaus Contributor

How many were made? More important how many still exist?