Thread: E36 Mileage correction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

E36 Mileage correction

Sounds dodgy - but needed to replace the cluster on my E36 as one of the indicator lights wasn't working.

Put a new set in - but its reading 30k miles above whats actually on the car. Can't find much online covering this - anyone know if its a DIY job with any OBD software, or if I need someone with some more expensive kit to do the fix?

BMWHaus Guru

E36 Mileage correction

Does the e36 not come from the era when dealers could "correct" excessive delivery mileage? It must be easy enough to correct given the amount of people offering the service.

Whatever you do, don't send the clocks down to Motor Clocks in Gorey. I sent the e30 clocks there and they couldn't have been less helpful even though all I wanted was the batteries changed!
    [hr]
    There's a place in rathcoole that I'll have the details of in a day or two and will give you.

BMWHaus Guru

Re: E36 Mileage correction

Pm EndaC on here I think he did this with a cluster he got off me For his e36. Might be info on his build thread.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E36 Mileage correction

The problem with my cluster was with the motor which drives the RPM needle. So what I did was split the two clusters and use the rear section of my original one and the front section of the new one with all the motors so the original mileage was intact.
    As far as I know the mileage is stored in two places in the E36, the cluster and the ECU. You can reset the mileage manually but it will only sync the two places to the highest number out of the two.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 Mileage correction

Reading a lot of differing opinions online on this - apparently on post 96 clusters you can just swap a mileage chip from the back of the cluster. That is not the case with the earlier ones.

I'll split the clusters down and see if the board with the indicator lights is swapable. Thanks for all the PM's with suggestions too.

Just bumping this...... Plan to swap in a set of KMH clocks into my E36. (Currently MPH)

KMH clocks I have read 180,000km but I need them to read around 300,000km to keep everything correct.

Anyone with the software to do it?

BMWHaus Guru
    Would you not just open the unit and swap the face of the km clocks to your own original unit. Ie keep the mileage but have the car display km
    This is my BMW. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My BMW is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My BMW, without me, is useless. Without my BMW, I am useless. I must drive my BMW true......