Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bodyshop recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Bodyshop recommendations

Long story short I got rear-ended at relatively low speed on Tuesday night in the lashing rain. No injuries but a fair bit of damage. Looking at it makes me a bit sick but them's the breaks and it's time to get some quotes.

I'm getting one from Dennings in Tallaght, Frank Keane for the dealer quote (since they're site sponsors) and Carcraft in Fairview. Would like to stick with Dublin; so where would you lads recommend? For the curious, here's a few snaps:

Administrator

RE: Bodyshop recommendations

Heard good reports from all mentioned.
    I think two things to consider....
    1) Inspect some of the work that they have in / just finished...have a good look at 3 or 4 cars.
    2) Explain that you are extremely picky and you want a flawless job.

Everyone has their off days, but a respectable painter should be "man" enough to accept that their work wasnt quite up to standard and re-do it without question. We've had jobs we've ran out of time on, and gave the car back, wanting it back for more work free of charge. If you explain the standard you expect they'll know to do a good job the first time.

BMWHaus Contributor

Cheers Curran, if I'm picky about the newly refurbed CSLs we were chatting about on Boards you can bet I'm not taking anything but excellence from whoever I give it in to. Apart from sooty pipes the rear end was completely spotless until now, the most spotless part of the bodywork. I will be weary of Carcraft and have a chat with them, we've some minor history but everybody recommends them so I'm happy to work it out

BMWHaus Guru

AJK in Rush, bit out of your way but work is top notch.
    Car craft in Ballybough
    Stewarts in Finglas
    Gerry Maguires in Percy place

Hope its an insurance job for the third party as I'd say your into a few thousand there as the boot floor looks knackered from what I can see.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by HealyC
    AJK in Rush, bit out of your way but work is top notch.
    Car craft in Ballybough
    Stewarts in Finglas
    Gerry Maguires in Percy place

Hope its an insurance job for the third party as I'd say your into a few thousand there as the boot floor looks knackered from what I can see.
    I'm going to get a few quotes and see what each of the places think need repairing. I only noticed the boot floor today after I cleared out all the stuff in it and it does look fairly well smacked up. I'll leave it to the third party as to whether she wants to go through insurance, I don't really care who the cheque is from and I have all her details.

Since yourself and Chris recommend AJK I'll be sure to get to them on Saturday morning for a quote and stop in to Carcraft on the way back. 9am-1pm on Saturday is great for me

BMWHaus Guru

AJK

Ahh b*lls. What a pain. Hope you get it sorted out with minimal fuss with the 3rd party.

Regarding repairs, Dennings gets my vote, along with Stewarts. Soraghans too (Navan Road), although I've never had any work done by them, quite a few BMW folk have and have been happy with the results..

BMWHaus Contributor

Due to the level of damage there. Consider getting the subframe work done at same time. If it has not been done previously

BMWHaus Contributor

I went out to AJK yesterday, very impressed with their premises and setup so thanks for the recommendations. They put the car up on the ramp and showed me the various bits that were gone. I'm in need of a new rear bumper, lower bumper, rear fibreglass carrier that the bumper attaches to, rear panel that's all bet up. They recommend a pull on the floor with a new sound damping pad. I asked about a new floor (I was going to get them to do the subframe work on my own money) but they said because of all the other work required if they put in a new floor they're very confident I'll be looking at a write off., I'm already into €3k+ and a new floor will put it to ~€5k.

Carcraft on the way back pretty much said the same thing but added that there's no strength in the boot floor, it's all in the chassis legs and rear panels.

Eugh, the hassle of this.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TouchingVirus
    I went out to AJK yesterday, very impressed with their premises and setup so thanks for the recommendations. They put the car up on the ramp and showed me the various bits that were gone. I'm in need of a new rear bumper, lower bumper, rear fibreglass carrier that the bumper attaches to, rear panel that's all bet up. They recommend a pull on the floor with a new sound damping pad. I asked about a new floor (I was going to get them to do the subframe work on my own money) but they said because of all the other work required if they put in a new floor they're very confident I'll be looking at a write off., I'm already into €3k+ and a new floor will put it to ~€5k.

Carcraft on the way back pretty much said the same thing but added that there's no strength in the boot floor, it's all in the chassis legs and rear panels.

Eugh, the hassle of this.

If the lads are happy enough that it will pull out then leave it at that. I've seen there work on the father in laws Saab that got pretty much the same damage as your own and it was perfect afterwards.