Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e39 vibration at 60-70mph

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

e39 vibration at 60-70mph

having a problem with my e39.
    at between 60-70 mph the whole car starts vibrating.
    I can feel it through the steering wheel and the seat.
    I have done a search online about possible causes and it seems it could be from non-circular tyres to thrust arm bushes etc.
    has anyone who owns/owned an e39 have this problem and if so how did they fix it.
    I just had 2 new track rod ends fitted while getting the car serviced as my mechanic reckoned that was causing it.
    I also had all wheels taken off and rebalanced.
    not 100% certain if he did the alignment but the problem is still there.
    any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    cheers
    jim

Re: e39 vibration at 60-70mph

Start with the simplest/cheapest have the wheels balanced correctly then investigate further

RE: e39 vibration at 60-70mph

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Start with the simplest/cheapest have the wheels balanced correctly then investigate further
    my mechanic had all the wheels off and rebalanced so I guess it would be wheel alignment next?

Re: e39 vibration at 60-70mph

Thats unfortunate as now its just a guessing game people have spent hundreds and still been in the same position , id leave alignment till last it shouldn't cause a vibration more a pull or lean if anything and if you end up changing front suspension you will need to re-align again i had a very slight sticking caliper cause bad vibration too at one stage

Get it to a good mechanic (who knows the e39) and get him to give it a good look over i dont want to start recommending parts as it could be a waste of time

I have the exact same problem and was actually going to start a thread tomorrow about it,at 40mph the wheel vibrates up till about 70mph,i had the car in with Darius (Med5) the last 2 days and he changed the bushes and a couple other things,but the vibration is still in it,there is 2 new front tyres on it only got them a few weeks ago and i reckon the problem is with them so im getting it balanced in the morning

I am actually leaning towards it being the tyres.
    reason being the guy I bought the car off said he had new rear tyres fitted and it vibrated after that .
    the tyres on it are crap both ends . nankang on the rear and some other crap on the front.
    I checked the pressures and they are spot on.
    its very frustrating as the 530i I had was perfect in this regard not a wobble out of it.
    I am going to have to put up with it for a while and replace things over time until I get it sorted.
    new tyres are a while away!!

BMWHaus Guru

e39 vibration at 60-70mph

Get a lend of weeks off someone. Much and all as I slag Nankangs they aren't the worst. Any bulge on the tyres?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
    I have the exact same problem and was actually going to start a thread tomorrow about it,at 40mph the wheel vibrates up till about 70mph,i had the car in with Darius (Med5) the last 2 days and he changed the bushes and a couple other things,but the vibration is still in it,there is 2 new front tyres on it only got them a few weeks ago and i reckon the problem is with them so im getting it balanced in the morning
    Let us know how you get on .

Quote Originally Posted by jl1
    I didnt get a chance to have it done today,will get it some day next week

Quote Originally Posted by jl1
    I didnt get a chance to have it done today,will get it some day next week
    i am heading down to my mechanic on thursday to have a chat with him to see what he thinks.
    i didnt have much time when i picked up the car.
    will post any relevant info