Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Classic car insurance

BMWHaus Contributor
    Well they quoted me and I live in Kerry. They're a broker so my quote is for insurance with Allianz. Any yes, I needed to have a daily car to get a quote.

BMWHaus Guru
    Auto line quoted me also for the M3 €545 fully comp excess of €150 and 3,000 miles. Unfortunately Chubb won't add it to my vintage policy as a classic until it's 20 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Racing is Life anything that happens before or after is just waiting~ Steve McQueen

BMWHaus Contributor
    M3 is my only car and daily driver so I dont think ill be able to get a classic cover.

Administrator
    I'd imagine if you take the cover under the terms offered, and in a few months time, you ring and say your circumstances have changed and you need up the annual amount, then it will be a more favorable overall fee??

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMo View Post
    M3 is my only car and daily driver so I dont think ill be able to get a classic cover.
    No you won't. If you have a partner and have been named on their policy they might accept this as an everyday policy. You will be bound by the mileage limitations of the policy though. And you will need to be part of a classic club.

BMWHaus Contributor
    [QUOTE=Mmolloy01;113457]Hi Nige,
    I have 2 inputs

1) my understanding was that First Ireland would quote you on BMW if >15 years. Did you make sure it was for a classic policy / talk to someone knowledgeable ? I would check it again.
    contact details :-
    email: clientcareschemes@firstireland.ie
    Barry Campion APA (Personal and Commerical insurance)| Client Services | First Ireland Risk Management
    15 Parkgate Street | Dublin 8 |
    telephone +353(1)882 0849

Has anyone done this recently? Rang first ireland but was shot down. They said they use aig for classic car insurance and they only accept 20+ year cars as new buisness... I am off by 1 year...

BMWHaus Guru
    The rule with First Ireland afaik and it is how I managed things, if you have a car 20 year old or older insured with them then they will quote or add a car 15 years or older. They won’t insure a car on its own younger than 20 years.

BMWHaus Guru
    Has anyone done this recently? Rang first ireland but was shot down. They said they use aig for classic car insurance and they only accept 20+ year cars as new buisness... I am off by 1 year...
    I think they're all tightening the policies up now - 20 years for new business, case by case basis if you're adding a new classic to an existing policy. Not a huge surprise given the amount of people putting cars on classic policies and then using them as daily drivers.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Yes this seems like the case. Go try to ring few random brokers, lets see if anything comes out of it. Otherwise..I ll have to pest them to move policy over to M3 everytime I am doing a track day just to drive to the place!!!

Time to get on to Pearse Doherty and get him to sort these cartels out once and for all!

BMWHaus Guru
    Yes this seems like the case. Go try to ring few random brokers, lets see if anything comes out of it. Otherwise..I ll have to pest them to move policy over to M3 everytime I am doing a track day just to drive to the place!!!
    I don't know of any insurance companies who will allow you to do a temporary transfer onto a car you own yourself. And a back-forth permanent transfer will get expensive. You might be better off going through Chubb or something and get fleet insurance.

Time to get on to Pearse Doherty and get him to sort these cartels out once and for all!

The shinners do have the ability to surprise me, but I'm not sure that someone struggling to insure his fleet of BMW's is the sort of cause they'll take up. Not unless theres a lot of votes in it of course.