Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic car insurance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Classic car insurance

Anywhere do classic car insurance for cars over 15 years old or do they all only offer for cars over 20 years now?

BMWHaus Guru

Re: Classic car insurance

First Ireland give them a try but be better to call to their office in leixlip and talk directly to them rather than ringing their head office in town because they're more likely to help you out face to face! I have classic insurance on my e36 with them and the car wasn't 20years old when I took out policy. It was over 15 years though but I have heard of lads getting cars that are 15years insured on classic policy with them!

Think my e36 was 16-17 years when I took out classic policy! Just to point out it was an odd age!!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Classic car insurance

As Paddy said, First Ireland will give you insurance on 15yr old car once you already hold a policy, they do a 2000mile policy but it can be extended up to a max of 10000 if needs be.

You can also add cars onto the same policy (15yrs old+) and they give 70% OFF :happy: I added the touring on it was 35euro the 528 was about 45euro for the year on top of the iS.

For 15yrs old they only do certain makes, BMW Merc and Jag, it goes to 20yr for certain car makers too.

I rang about a 8v MKII GTi last year to add onto the e36 and they said no, its too much of a performance car, but yet they will insure e36 m3's etc :hehe!::hehe!:

That's the information I have got from them over the past couple of years but could have changed since now.

BMWHaus Contributor

Your right about the 15 year for BMW etc but they wouldn't quote me for a classic policy on the basis that its an m3.

TBH I don't think I would be going down the 2nd policy route unless it was super cheap.

Taxing a 2.8 and a 3.2 just isn't really an option.

Stupid wedding costs! ha

BMWHaus Guru

What kinda discount would a classic policy give you over standard?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Don B
    What kinda discount would a classic policy give you over standard?
    Im paying about 250 on the iS was just over 300 for 2 cars being the 528 and iS, 2000 miles on each car :wink:

BMWHaus Guru

That's very good alright...not paying too much more on my standard policy atm, but you have that flexibility if
    another car comes along that takes your fancy with the classic insurance

BMWHaus Guru

I have my e36 on classic 4000 miles a year for €224 fully comp with €500 windscreen cover, breakdown assist and full claims protection. Plus the girlfriend is named driver. I had to provide proof of an existing policy on the daily driver which was a 'live' no-claims history report.

As I said though, you're better off dropping into their office in Leixlip as they are helpful there rather than calling their HQ in town. I got my renewal in June and the cost was €255, when I called to query this, the call-centre staff wouldn't entertain me saying there were admin charges and all sorts of shite that I needed to pay, so I stopped into the Leixlip office and without even fully arguing the point, they knocked €30 off the cost. So I can't recommend it enough for the sake of ten minutes in with them. Also, you may be asked to provide a membership number of a car-club you're in, your forum reg number off driver will do, that's what I gave anyway.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Just bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one. I rang around a few insurance companies today including First Ireland and none of them would quote me on my 2002 E46 M3. Has anyone recently got a classic policy on a 15 year old BMW? I have another car as a daily and it's insured in my name so no problem proving it's a second car.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by nige View Post
    Just bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one. I rang around a few insurance companies today including First Ireland and none of them would quote me on my 2002 E46 M3. Has anyone recently got a classic policy on a 15 year old BMW? I have another car as a daily and it's insured in my name so no problem proving it's a second car.
    Not quite the same but just today I added the E36 m3 to our classic policy for €59 until April on limited mileage with First Ireland. It's a 1999 car though.