Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic car insurance

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Not quite the same but just today I added the E36 m3 to our classic policy for €59 until April on limited mileage with First Ireland. It's a 1999 car though.
    First Ireland seem a bit ad hoc tbh in their policy. She said if it was a Porsche they'd consider it when 15 years old, but not a "relatively common m3" (cheeky mare)

BMWHaus Contributor
    Hi Nige,
    I have 2 inputs

1) my understanding was that First Ireland would quote you on BMW if >15 years. Did you make sure it was for a classic policy / talk to someone knowledgeable ? I would check it again.
    contact details :-
    email: clientcareschemes@firstireland.ie
    Barry Campion APA (Personal and Commerical insurance)| Client Services | First Ireland Risk Management
    15 Parkgate Street | Dublin 8 |
    telephone +353(1)882 0849

2) Autoline/Newry will quote some marques (eg Porsche, not sure about BMW) down to >10 years old. I am looking into this option now myself so that is concrete.

Good luck with the quest... MM.

BMWHaus Guru
    Autoline are generally 20 years for BMW but will look at each car e.g. my E36 was 19 years. They did quote me for an '01 E46 M3 too.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmolloy01 View Post
    Hi Nige,
    I have 2 inputs

1) my understanding was that First Ireland would quote you on BMW if >15 years. Did you make sure it was for a classic policy / talk to someone knowledgeable ? I would check it again.
    contact details :-
    email: clientcareschemes@firstireland.ie
    Barry Campion APA (Personal and Commerical insurance)| Client Services | First Ireland Risk Management
    15 Parkgate Street | Dublin 8 |
    telephone +353(1)882 0849

Good luck with the quest... MM.
    It was Barry who sorted me out today. Very sound to deal with.

Autoline sorted me on my 2002 m3 this year...

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Classic car insurance

Quote Originally Posted by nige View Post
    Just bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one. I rang around a few insurance companies today including First Ireland and none of them would quote me on my 2002 E46 M3. Has anyone recently got a classic policy on a 15 year old BMW? I have another car as a daily and it's insured in my name so no problem proving it's a second car.
    My brother is having the exact same problem (same car,same year),one company is saying it's the age of the car and others are saying its because it's over 3 litre they can't insure him,let me know how you get on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by nige View Post
    Just bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one. I rang around a few insurance companies today including First Ireland and none of them would quote me on my 2002 E46 M3. Has anyone recently got a classic policy on a 15 year old BMW? I have another car as a daily and it's insured in my name so no problem proving it's a second car.
    I rang First Ireland today and they said that I need a 20+ year old car to start a classic policy but that I could then add my 2002 M3 on to it no problem. Might have to go car shopping!

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by doyleeoin View Post
    I rang First Ireland today and they said that I need a 20+ year old car to start a classic policy but that I could then add my 2002 M3 on to it no problem. Might have to go car shopping!
    And it'll need a current nct before they'll insure it

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by doyleeoin View Post
    I thought all BMW once 15 year old were covered by them?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ginoc View Post
    I thought all BMW once 15 year old were covered by them?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Policy now is you must have a 20 year old plus car before they will insure a 15 year old. As John said NCT is a must. Plus you must have a regular policy in your own name. They won't accept company cars any more as I found out earlier in the year, hence I moved to Autoline.

Ah remember the days when you could insure all sorts of crazy foreign reg plates with no questions, no nct. Not that I would have any direct experience with this of course