Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic car insurance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Not quite the same but just today I added the E36 m3 to our classic policy for €59 until April on limited mileage with First Ireland. It's a 1999 car though.
    First Ireland seem a bit ad hoc tbh in their policy. She said if it was a Porsche they'd consider it when 15 years old, but not a "relatively common m3" (cheeky mare)

Classic car insurance

Quote Originally Posted by nige View Post
    Just bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one. I rang around a few insurance companies today including First Ireland and none of them would quote me on my 2002 E46 M3. Has anyone recently got a classic policy on a 15 year old BMW? I have another car as a daily and it's insured in my name so no problem proving it's a second car.
    My brother is having the exact same problem (same car,same year),one company is saying it's the age of the car and others are saying its because it's over 3 litre they can't insure him,let me know how you get on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor
    Just bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one. I rang around a few insurance companies today including First Ireland and none of them would quote me on my 2002 E46 M3. Has anyone recently got a classic policy on a 15 year old BMW? I have another car as a daily and it's insured in my name so no problem proving it's a second car.
    I rang First Ireland today and they said that I need a 20+ year old car to start a classic policy but that I could then add my 2002 M3 on to it no problem. Might have to go car shopping!

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by doyleeoin View Post
    I rang First Ireland today and they said that I need a 20+ year old car to start a classic policy but that I could then add my 2002 M3 on to it no problem. Might have to go car shopping!
    And it'll need a current nct before they'll insure it

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by doyleeoin View Post
    I thought all BMW once 15 year old were covered by them?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ginoc View Post
    I thought all BMW once 15 year old were covered by them?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Policy now is you must have a 20 year old plus car before they will insure a 15 year old. As John said NCT is a must. Plus you must have a regular policy in your own name. They won't accept company cars any more as I found out earlier in the year, hence I moved to Autoline.

Ah remember the days when you could insure all sorts of crazy foreign reg plates with no questions, no nct. Not that I would have any direct experience with this of course

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Policy now is you must have a 20 year old plus car before they will insure a 15 year old. As John said NCT is a must. Plus you must have a regular policy in your own name. They won't accept company cars any more as I found out earlier in the year, hence I moved to Autoline.

Ah remember the days when you could insure all sorts of crazy foreign reg plates with no questions, no nct. Not that I would have any direct experience with this of course
    Andy

Do you need the existing policy with autoline or just proof of current cover with current supplier? Would they cover a 15 year old car if I hold a vintage and regular policy with another company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Racing is Life anything that happens before or after is just waiting~ Steve McQueen

BMWHaus Contributor
    I tried a few places for classic and they all refused because its an M3 or not old enough.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Hi Nige,
    I have 2 inputs

1) my understanding was that First Ireland would quote you on BMW if >15 years. Did you make sure it was for a classic policy / talk to someone knowledgeable ? I would check it again.
    contact details :-
    email: clientcareschemes@firstireland.ie
    Barry Campion APA (Personal and Commerical insurance)| Client Services | First Ireland Risk Management
    15 Parkgate Street | Dublin 8 |
    telephone +353(1)882 0849

2) Autoline/Newry will quote some marques (eg Porsche, not sure about BMW) down to >10 years old. I am looking into this option now myself so that is concrete.

Good luck with the quest... MM.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmolloy01 View Post
    Hi Nige,
    I have 2 inputs

1) my understanding was that First Ireland would quote you on BMW if >15 years. Did you make sure it was for a classic policy / talk to someone knowledgeable ? I would check it again.
    contact details :-
    email: clientcareschemes@firstireland.ie
    Barry Campion APA (Personal and Commerical insurance)| Client Services | First Ireland Risk Management
    15 Parkgate Street | Dublin 8 |
    telephone +353(1)882 0849

Good luck with the quest... MM.
    It was Barry who sorted me out today. Very sound to deal with.