Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toll firms paid €28m to compensate for lack of traffic -

BMWHaus Guru

Toll firms paid €28m to compensate for lack of traffic -

This annoyed me now I must say

"Private toll companies have been paid €28m by the State to compensate them for less-than-anticipated traffic on two motorways.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/toll-firms-paid-28m-to-compensate-for-lack-of-traffic-30506820.html

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Toll firms paid €28m to compensate for lack of traffic -

I think that is what is known as "the house always wins" phenomena.

The same will happen with the water charges. If people use less water & the revenue doesn't come in Irish Water will be allowed to increase the price.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

Where does the state get off covering the losses of the private sector though? It's shocking!! Have we learned nothing?

BMWHaus Contributor

Do you think we have a clever government? OR ever really had?
    28m to them poxes that own the tolls, and homelessness,crime,jobs,drug users with no treatment rampant all over the country!
    WE PAID TO BUILD THE ROADS IN THE FIRST PLACE???

BMWHaus Guru

This is what happens when a bunch of teachers (politicians) come up against some of the smartest & sharpest business people out there. No offence to teachers, the training they have is not gearing them to make decisions on these major decisions.
    Current Garage:
    e36 Convertible, e63 M6,F82 M4, R53 Cooper S, F57 JCW, R53 JCW GP1, Porsche Panamera, Porsche 991 C4S

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MICK FORAN
    WE PAID TO BUILD THE ROADS IN THE FIRST PLACE???
    No we didn't.
    Your government kindly outsourced it to the private sector for you and they paid for it to be built (with a government guarantee) financed by banks (which you paid to be bailed out in the most expensive bailout possible)

BMWHaus Contributor

Stupid wankers.

BMWHaus Guru

Re: Toll firms paid €28m to compensate for lack of traffic -

I find it remarkable that there are just endless blatant examples of either complete disregard for the general public or complete ineptitude of running the country. I just can't fathom how things like this are acceptable and we have not had a civil up rising of some description.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    I find it remarkable that there are just endless blatant examples of either complete disregard for the general public or complete ineptitude of running the country. I just can't fathom how things like this are acceptable and we have not had a civil up rising of some description.
    This actually isn't the worst of it. At least the roads wee built and we have a v good motorway network compared to 15 yrs ago.

If you wanted to get excited about how money is wasted look at the €40m spent on thinking about putting a kids hospital at the Mater hospital, the similar fortunes spent on Croke Park, National Acquatic Centre, Electronic Voting Machines and Decentralisation. Thanks Bertie!

BMWHaus Guru

Re: RE: Toll firms paid €28m to compensate for lack of traffic -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    This actually isn't the worst of it. At least the roads wee built and we have a v good motorway network compared to 15 yrs ago.

If you wanted to get excited about how money is wasted look at the €40m spent on thinking about putting a kids hospital at the Mater hospital, the similar fortunes spent on Croke Park, National Acquatic Centre, Electronic Voting Machines and Decentralisation. Thanks Bertie!
    Oh I agree it's a cumulative effect and it's rooted in previous generations as well but will we ever pass the nth degree, will there ever be a reform or are we just to accept this as how things are to be?