Thread: Detailing; Ireland vs England

BMWHaus Contributor

Detailing; Ireland vs England

The following is based on my own observation so may not be a true representation but gives an insight to what I have seen the last 3 months I've been in England.

Cleanliness;
    Yes, cars are much cleaner here. It might be a combination of weather and bad roads that conspire against Irish cars but cars are in much better nick here. The amount of places you can get your car cleaned is also a lot different in England, yes every garage and street corner has the local car wash but so do the supermarkets. I've seen one in limerick, waterless wash facility in childers road but this pales in comparison to what I say in Saintsbury last week. As I go out of the car I could see 15-20 people (all one company) with car wash trolleys advertising car washes as you shop (£4/5). Simple wash with mitt and dry (I guess) without the car leaving the parking space. Truly the lazymans way to get a car washed, no fuss and no waiting

Swirls
    This is where it gets interesting, with the amount of possibilities for cars to be washed incorrectly in England I feel they may be more sustainable to swirl creating (wash the car every Sunday routine). It doesn't help that that it much sunnier so more obvious to see swirls. Maybe the poor Irish weather and less frequent washing is actually helping the paintwork rather than damaging it

RE: Detailing; Ireland vs England

artane shopping centre have those guys going around with the cart offering to wash your car.
    wouldn't let them near my car in a million years!!
    if I cant wash it myself it doesn't get washed.

Administrator

Ireland is about 5-10 years behind the UK in terms of detailing!!
    In both countries, 95% of folk do not see a car in the same way as 99% of the people on forum such as these, but for the 5% of folk who are into their cars, there is a way higher % in the UK who know and care about keeping their car looking its best.

In terms of car care in general, in the UK, they service their cars better, and look after them (with their best intentions at heart) in terms of cleanliness, far, far better than we do here.
    Yes, they probably aren't educated about the correct wash techniques, etc, and as a result of the better "care" that the car gets with far more regular washing, etc, it probably does result in swirled paintwork. If you dont wash the car, you dont inflict swirls in the paint work, but if they dont wash their cars over there, they'll rust, due to the salt used on the roads in the winter....catch 22!!

At the end of the day, so long as the paintwork hasnt been washed with a scotch scrubber / sponge, or the kitchen / yard brush, then there is a good chance it will come up pretty much like new, with some time and effort!!

BMWHaus Contributor

Possibly a High possibility of people repairing scratches and dents here so might look better from afar aswell