Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    another question for you's can the leather insert be removed from one doorcard and transfered to another ?
    I seen a good Diy on one of the English sites used a black Door card and retrimmed using a grey insert looked very well, but can't find it now. But from what I can remember is don't be shy with the glue and once you drill off the plastic rivets to reattach use screws from back of door card to fix retrimmed piece as glue alone will not be strong enough ( this is the alpina way according to him )

BMWHaus Contributor

another question for you's can the leather insert be removed from one doorcard and transfered to another ?
    I seen a good Diy on one of the English sites used a black Door card and retrimmed using a grey insert looked very well, but can't find it now. But from what I can remember is don't be shy with the glue and once you drill off the plastic rivets to reattach use screws from back of door card to fix retrimmed piece as glue alone will not be strong enough ( this is the alpina way according to him )

BMWHaus Guru

Opinions

I think so Gar, if they are like the E46 they are held on with melted plastic rivets. Not 100% sure though.
    I imagine you'd just drill out the plastic rivets/joins and glue the new one in place.

BMWHaus Guru

Not sure but worth ask Austin he has done it on the e36 for sure but e39 might be different

ah will just take it off and have a peak

BMWHaus Contributor

Would you not be better off re-dying the trim you want to do in the color you want?

Your car has a very clean interior, so unless you find a set of trim/leather in equally good condition, that would not be worth it in my opinion.

And finding e39 leather seats in very good condition is a real quest on its own

Now to get the dye right is challenging too and you could ruin some of your trim/leather.

A really hard choice. You could go full re-trim too with brand new leather. Gonna cost a bit though and even with good companies, not always as tied as the leather from factory.
    Personally if I was in your shoes, I would leave my quiet rare interior alone, I would focus on mods, wheels, calipers, disks, a good service all around, a decent sound system etc.

iv decided not to dye as you have siad my leather is in good condition very good in fact so i think im going to go down the route of just changing all the trim doorcards dash etfc from green to black so it ends up like the picture i posted above

BMWHaus Guru

Tint + Black Dash + Champagne Interior =

BMWHaus Contributor

This one is not bad either...

Re: Opinions

Cheers for the input folks but have decided against dying will keep it the original colour and change all trim to black and dye the carpet black(maybe)
    Attached Images Attached Images