Been looking around for far too long and it seems the cheapest half decent cat-back system designed for an e36 328 will be about 600 Euro or thereabouts. Eisenmann is a 1000 Euro... It's just far too much to pay for a cat-back, it's not even a full exhaust.

Is there anything I can do to modify the 328 exhaust to get a decent sound without it becoming too loud and without breaking the bank?

The Golf Tee mod was done when it was fitted to the 323 (as there is no tube to plug into the 2nd tip).

I read about deleting the resonators but some say it's not much louder, and that it's bad news in the sense that BMW design them partially to enhance the engine note, and partially to help gas flow. I'm no exhaust expert nor mechanic so don't know how true that it is. Can anybody shed light on this? The sound of the car just bothers me now as it sounds like the exhaust is "stuffed full of cotton" for lack of a better term...

Anything else I can do? I don't really fancy decatting as I don't want to be worrying about refitting it every time the car has to be NCT'd.