Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E39 or E46

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E39 or E46

Hi lads I currently drive a E46 323i (2000). It has 102000 miles it's in v good condition and it's getting some good TLC from me whenever I can. I'm building up a nice little service history with it so it's getting all the love I feel it deserves.

Iv no desire to get rid of it but I know some one who is selling a nice E39 525i M Sport (2002). There is a couple of things wrong with it, the fuel gauge isn't working it could be the gauge itself or the sender so not huge jobs, and it could do with a full loving service again not a big deal. So my question is would it be worth saying goodbye to the 323 and hello to the 525.

The price for the E39 is 1500. Now I know the person selling it so I know it hasn't been trashed they are selling it as they can't afford to run it.

Iv driven it before and it runs fine again like I said it needs a couple of things done to it but I'm just not too sure if it would be worth going from my own car that iv put TLC into already or should I start all over again with this E39.

I haven't seen the car in about a month so I might have my mind made up by the time I see it again which may be in a few days time but I figured I'd ask on here for some valued expert enthusiastic opinion.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E39 or E46

Keep the e46

BMWHaus Guru

E39 or E46

How many miles are on the e39?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    I honestly cant remember what mileage is on it. Its a fairly straight car there is a bit of touch up needed on some bits of the paint and that to be honest is the biggest thing putting me off it. It wouldnt take much to have it looking great but im just wondering whether i should take the plunge so to speak and start over again. I think im a little bit aprehensive as i know i have a good clean car that doesnt need all that much more done to it apart from the usual upgrades that come with time and money

I would hazard a guess the E39 is the better car especially given its an Msport.

E39 sport its a great place to be :-)

BMWHaus Guru

It's the starting over that would put me off too. Just depends on what you're after really

Re: RE: E39 or E46

Quote Originally Posted by kendo
    I honestly cant remember what mileage is on it. Its a fairly straight car there is a bit of touch up needed on some bits of the paint and that to be honest is the biggest thing putting me off it. It wouldnt take much to have it looking great but im just wondering whether i should take the plunge so to speak and start over again. I think im a little bit aprehensive as i know i have a good clean car that doesnt need all that much more done to it apart from the usual upgrades that come with time and money

I would hazard a guess the E39 is the better car especially given its an Msport.
    This is a choice only you and you alone can make i done the same with my e36 i had it for +3 years id taken it as far as i was willing to go and felt id nothing left to do on it and that to me meant end of the line , i stepped into my e39 3 yrs ago and haven't looked back when i bought it like most i was under the illusion i wouldnt change a thing well here i am years later still pulling it apart and pumping money into it money that i will never ever see back but it makes me happy if im not pulling a car apart im not happy if its complete i end up selling

Iv had thoughts this week about chopping it in saving a bit and buying an e60 late petrols are quite cheap some days the car just doesnt feel as good as i want it too but then other days it feels damn good so damn good you feel you will never part ways

Went on a rant there anyway its up to you mate but i seriously doubt you will regret moving to a 525i sport its a great car and i mean great

Im sure if you keep your e46 you will be just as happy so the "choice is yours"

Oh and on the starting over thats the best bit getting it home scrubbing it up making your shortlist of top jobs that need done asap

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    It's the starting over that would put me off too. Just depends on what you're after really
    Yep thats the thing imnot too sure if starting over is a good idea as the GF will kill me as it is she hates me evening mentioining anything about my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by kendo

This is a choice only you and you alone can make i done the same with my e36 i had it for +3 years id taken it as far as i was willing to go and felt id nothing left to do on it and that to me meant end of the line , i stepped into my e39 3 yrs ago and haven't looked back when i bought it like most i was under the illusion i wouldnt change a thing well here i am years later still pulling it apart and pumping money into it money that i will never ever see back but it makes me happy if im not pulling a car apart im not happy if its complete i end up selling

Iv had thoughts this week about chopping it in saving a bit and buying an e60 late petrols are quite cheap some days the car just doesnt feel as good as i want it too but then other days it feels damn good so damn good you feel you will never part ways

Went on a rant there anyway its up to you mate but i seriously doubt you will regret moving to a 525i sport its a great car and i mean great

Im sure if you keep your e46 you will be just as happy so the "choice is yours"

Oh and on the starting over thats the best bit getting it home scrubbing it up making your shortlist of top jobs that need done asap

Thanks thats a good post im gonna have a look at it during the week and see how i feel as it stands i just keep thinking about how much of a good deal it could be for such a good car and i might regret it if i pass it up.

Re: E39 or E46

Pick up a new missus when you get the e39

The best thing to do is go and drive the car and see how you feel. It will be a personal choice after all. I've had both models over the last few years and all I can say is that I'm currently driving my 4th e39 and have no plans to get rid of it any time soon.
    A good condition M-sport E39 with a few nice options are a great all round car and I don't think you'll be disappointed.