Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding an engine

BMWHaus Guru

Rebuilding an engine

I'd like to do something productive over the winter and learn something new. What are the costs involved in rebuilding something like an M52B28? What kind of work is involved? Talk to me

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Rebuilding an engine

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    I'd like to do something productive over the winter and learn something new. What are the costs involved in rebuilding something like an M52B28? What kind of work is involved? Talk to me
    A lot. Few grand at least to do it right! :surprised:

BMWHaus Guru

Hmm... What about an M44? I'm not looking to do anything crazy, it would be a learning experience. I'd like it to be useful when finished though. No point rebuilding a 1.6..

BMWHaus Guru

Still talking good money regardless, prob better just getting a cheap engine and dismantling

BMWHaus Guru

Hmm... What about an M44? I'm not looking to do anything crazy, it would be a learning experience. I'd like it to be useful when finished though. No point rebuilding a 1.6..
    Even then a few grand minimum. I have two of these spare and boxes and have been looking into it hugely and any way you cut it will cost a packet. Check this out for a quick example where those that "know" were having the chat about such a thing: http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=101937

Still going to get an engine stand soon and go tearing one apart :hehe!:

BMWHaus Guru

Good man Dave, I'm just itching to do something like that. Just get the hands dirty and get to know the inner workings of it all.

If you are indeed going to take on apart, give us a shout and I will be happy to spin down and give a hand

Was doing some googling earlier and ended up reading a full thread on e30owners on an e30 with an M52b28, he didn't rebuild the engine but it was an interesting read nonetheless it was username 327i's build.

BMWHaus Guru

Good man Dave, I'm just itching to do something like that. Just get the hands dirty and get to know the inner workings of it all.

If you are indeed going to take on apart, give us a shout and I will be happy to spin down and give a hand

Was doing some googling earlier and ended up reading a full thread on e30owners on an e30 with an M52b28, he didn't rebuild the engine but it was an interesting read nonetheless it was username 327i's build.
    If it interests you Enda's e36 thread is a great place to start. Very detailed in what was done but maybe not how it was done.

BMWHaus Guru

It's been a while since I've read Enda's thread, must check it out again!

BMWHaus Contributor

I'd be getting a spare engine to flute around with if I was you. Wouldn't be pulling the engine apart unless there was a good reason to, you could end up half way there and ballsing it up and be left with out an engine

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TheRev
    I'd be getting a spare engine to flute around with if I was you. Wouldn't be pulling the engine apart unless there was a good reason to, you could end up half way there and ballsing it up and be left with out an engine
    Oh my engine ain't going nowhere it's perfect (thank god). I just wanted to get a different engine and rebuild it "for the craic" but it seems no matter what engine it is it will be hugely expensive so that's out the window but as the guys mentioned, picking up an old engine for cheap and taking it apart just out of interest and putting it back together might be good to learn. It seem M44s can change hands for as little as 150 euro so it's not a lot for something to keep busy with over winter