Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rebuilding an engine

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: Rebuilding an engine

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36

Haha, would be nice to have that kind of spare cash

How did you start taking engines apart/rebuilding them Valdas?
    it all depends on which way u want to rebuild it .
    most i have done was diesels ,for future high mileages ,from small cars up to big buses .
    even full rebuild can be done full and expensive or budget .
    budget when u need to replace less parts as u can ,but with one reason -IT SHOULD LAST and with GUARANTEE ! old pistons and rods , old valves , oil pump ,some gears and so on.
    so thats mean its just much more measuring ,u must double check every part,and be sure it will last another engines life .every engine has its soft places . some valves worn on their top part,some of them worn badly its main body there it slides in valves guide,some of them worn their part there valve locks sits and so on. valve guides .valve seats ,and angles on seats .valve seat position in head ,how deap is sitting and how deep it can go in, as if its too deep,that mean valve will be too high in the head and valve adjustment or hydraulic tappet clearance will not be enough to adjust valve ,if not enough space to leave it free by recommended clearances ,u will have bent valve ,leaking pressure,burned valve not perfect working or not working at all engine. cam and crank wear in term of head ,block or bearing wear . the place there cam or crank seal sits on them . cylinder wear out ,piston wear , con rod wear to edge size .head condition ,even after head is skimmed ,it doesnt mean its straight .u have only skimmed place there it will sit on the engine block,but it could be not straight it self by camshaft position . camshaft will not be turning free and it will reduce engines power,worst - camshaft will broke in few peaces ,yes this happens most on diesel cars but can happen on petrol as well and mostly after overheat . engine block it self can be not straight and crank will not turn easy as well ,same story as with head . oil pump condition ,where and what to check.gaskets ,o rings , bolts , where u can or cant use silicone ,which gasket is better as lot suppliers- makes are available and make different quality parts .
    and when u do full only new parts rebuild .u throw out all old stuff as u dont care how bad they are ,as they will be replaced by new ones ,so little bit less measuring

omg ,i must go sleep now :hehe!: i dont have off tomorrow

BMWHaus Guru

Re: RE: Rebuilding an engine

Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36

Haha, would be nice to have that kind of spare cash

How did you start taking engines apart/rebuilding them Valdas?
    it all depends on which way u want to rebuild it .
    most i have done was diesels ,for future high mileages ,from small cars up to big buses .
    even full rebuild can be done full and expensive or budget .
    budget when u need to replace less parts as u can ,but with one reason -IT SHOULD LAST and with GUARANTEE ! old pistons and rods , old valves , oil pump ,some gears and so on.
    so thats mean its just much more measuring ,u must double check every part,and be sure it will last another engines life .every engine has its soft places . some valves worn on their top part,some of them worn badly its main body there it slides in valves guide,some of them worn their part there valve locks sits and so on. valve guides .valve seats ,and angles on seats .valve seat position in head ,how deap is sitting and how deep it can go in, as if its too deep,that mean valve will be too high in the head and valve adjustment or hydraulic tappet clearance will not be enough to adjust valve ,if not enough space to leave it free by recommended clearances ,u will have bent valve ,leaking pressure,burned valve not perfect working or not working at all engine. cam and crank wear in term of head ,block or bearing wear . the place there cam or crank seal sits on them . cylinder wear out ,piston wear , con rod wear to edge size .head condition ,even after head is skimmed ,it doesnt mean its straight .u have only skimmed place there it will sit on the engine block,but it could be not straight it self by camshaft position . camshaft will not be turning free and it will reduce engines power,worst - camshaft will broke in few peaces ,yes this happens most on diesel cars but can happen on petrol as well and mostly after overheat . engine block it self can be not straight and crank will not turn easy as well ,same story as with head . oil pump condition ,where and what to check.gaskets ,o rings , bolts , where u can or cant use silicone ,which gasket is better as lot suppliers- makes are available and make different quality parts .
    and when u do full only new parts rebuild .u throw out all old stuff as u dont care how bad they are ,as they will be replaced by new ones ,so little bit less measuring

omg ,i must go sleep now :hehe!: i dont have off tomorrow
    Go away out of that you love talking about this

Random Idea: If you have room, Why not buy something simple like a classic Mini and restore it yourself?

Nearly everything is available for them and you'll grt some mechanical experience.

It won't be cheap, You'll wonder why you even started... But you could have a cool toy you put together yourself.

BMWHaus Guru

Rebuilding an engine

I just read back over this thread and while there's lots of good advice on the cost of building a high quality long lasting / race engine I wonder if that's really what you're looking for?

If you just want to become more familiar with the internal workings of an engine I'd say just do it.

You could buy any e36 that runs, take it apart and see how all the bits work. Then put it back together, maybe even fixing a few things along the way. If it runs then great but if not you'll still learn something.

At very worst you can break the car at the end and recover most of the cost.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    I just read back over this thread and while there's lots of good advice on the cost of building a high quality long lasting / race engine I wonder if that's really what you're looking for?

If you just want to become more familiar with the internal workings of an engine I'd say just do it.

You could buy any e36 that runs, take it apart and see how all the bits work. Then put it back together, maybe even fixing a few things along the way. If it runs then great but if not you'll still learn something.

At very worst you can break the car at the end and recover most of the cost.
    That is exactly what I did and I'd recommend it. :smiling:

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Rebuilding an engine

If it's something you want to do to learn Peter then pick up an engine that will actually serve you all going well with the end result.

As Enda said the expense doesn't just end on the parts for the engine it also involves tooling up and buying what's needed as you go along. You could buy a large tool kit but there will always be things it doesn't have especially for rebuilding an engine. So buy a good comprehensive socket set and then buy as you need. Space is also another factor to consider and the area should be kept clean and dry. And where possible definitely an engine stand which in itself with an engine bolted to it shall use quite a lot of room.

Neatness and being methodical will be your friend in an engine rebuild.

Outside costs should also be considered, I.E : a machine shop for testing the heads condition and skimming etc if necessary. Parts would run into €€€€'a but if it's a slow burn you won't feel it nearly as much. My advice would to buy a very advanced model engine rebuild kit (surely someone makes them) and start with this, that way you won't be investing big money or trying to find time and space .

Hope this helps

EDIT : Bloody Tapatalk didn't show all the replies till now. looks like your question has been well and truly answered Peter.

www.instagram.com/super4bmw

BMWHaus Contributor

I know it's not a bm engine but I think you will enjoy watching his clips. You will get an idea of tools needed and may also pick up some tips.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mpy_By5aIxM

BMWHaus Guru

Re: RE: Rebuilding an engine

Quote Originally Posted by E46Padge
    I know it's not a bm engine but I think you will enjoy watching his clips. You will get an idea of tools needed and may also pick up some tips.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mpy_By5aIxM
    Excellent watch

BMWHaus Guru

Peter this might be a decent one to just take apart for the fun of it?

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107721

BMWHaus Guru

Cheers Chris saw that alright, I've reconsidered the whole thing and decided it wouldn't really be suitable for me at the moment, but I hope I will at some stage!