Thread: E36 Starting Issue

E36 Starting Issue

Got into the car this morning and my e36 wouldn't tick over. At first I thought it was the battery acting up so I disconnected that and left it charging.
    When I put it back in it still wouldn't tick, all the lights come on the instrument cluster and I'v tried starting with my foot on the clutch.

The video here is of an e46 m3 but its the exact thing thats happening to me.

http://youtu.be/KZDho_MbKX8

Looks like it all points to the starter but I just wanted to make sure nobody thinks it's something else.

If it is the starter does anyone have one I could pick up in the Dublin area?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 Starting Issue

Quote Originally Posted by plastik90
    Got into the car this morning and my e36 wouldn't tick over. At first I thought it was the battery acting up so I disconnected that and left it charging.
    When I put it back in it still wouldn't tick, all the lights come on the instrument cluster and I'v tried starting with my foot on the clutch.

The video here is of an e46 m3 but its the exact thing thats happening to me.

http://youtu.be/KZDho_MbKX8

Looks like it all points to the starter but I just wanted to make sure nobody thinks it's something else.

If it is the starter does anyone have one I could pick up in the Dublin area?
    Bad earth.

Have a few starters. Located near carlow.

BMWHaus Guru

E36 Starting Issue

Hi all, mine is now starting to act up - exact same issue as the video..90% of the time it starts on the button but this morning it took 7-8 attempts to start..lights on the dash but not a sound apart from the fuel pump priming..to make things more complicated i have a clifford alarm and when the car fails to start i get one chirp from the alarm so im not sure if its the alarm or a dodgy starter!

RE: E36 Starting Issue

Forgot to update this thread with my problem actually!

Nothing to do with the started which is what I first thought,
    Towed it up to the nearest mechanic and it turns out the immobiliser wasn't reading the key.

BMWHaus Guru

E36 Starting Issue

@[plastik90] i forgot to mention i replaced the starter on your car a few years ago..glad to see its fixed now!