Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sat Nav

RE: Sat Nav

hiya mate,
    i've unused atm Tomtom 1000live with UK and Ireland maps on it, if its any good for you, you can have it for 8 days

BMWHaus Contributor

Hi there,

Really appreciate the offer. Unfortunately it's off to Italy so it'll run out of steam at Dublin Airport. Probably should have mentioned it in the original post. Just thinking, might have to borrow it just to find my way to the Airport :tounge:

Thanks again,

Rich :-)

Quote Originally Posted by crosswired
    hiya mate,
    i've unused atm Tomtom 1000live with UK and Ireland maps on it, if its any good for you, you can have it for 8 days

BMWHaus Contributor

http://www.pixmania.ie/in-car-gps/garmin-gps-nuvi-2447-lmt-europe/21351012-a.html#description

I bought that one, it has a good big screen and lane assist which I found extremely handy in Canada last month. The only gripe I have with Garmin sat navs is that its very difficult to find exact address', its a good bit behind the likes of Google maps for accuracy.

BMWHaus Contributor

Hi Michael,

Garmin numbering is a bit hard to follow. the '24' is obviously the series (model 2) and the screen size (4") but after that I don't know. Would more 'addresses' come down with newer/current map updates?

I assume you bought it locally and it only came with UK or Europesn mapping? If so, was it just a matter of buying US maps on-line and downloading to the unit itself?

When I was away in the M, although I never needed a specific address per se, looking for 'local information' was great because I could find hotels, restaurants, gas stations et al and also contact details such as numbers etc. And navigate to there if required.

I'd be looking for the same features in a new SatNav and I assume most if not all units now do this at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by michael320
    http://www.pixmania.ie/in-car-gps/garmin-gps-nuvi-2447-lmt-europe/21351012-a.html#description

I bought that one, it has a good big screen and lane assist which I found extremely handy in Canada last month. The only gripe I have with Garmin sat navs is that its very difficult to find exact address', its a good bit behind the likes of Google maps for accuracy.

BMWHaus Contributor

Mine was brand new out of the box with all the most recent address, I just found that if I typed in the exact address I was looking for it could not find any matches. I literally had to break it down and search each line of the address individually, it would bring up a few results, select one, then check the map on the unit to make sure it was in the right area of where I needed to go then take a chance on it.... In fairness I did end up in the wrong place a few times.

I bought one with worldwide mapping.

BMWHaus Contributor

Oh err missus. That sounds tedious and laborious. :sad:

Quote Originally Posted by michael320
    Mine was brand new out of the box with all the most recent address, I just found that if I typed in the exact address I was looking for it could not find any matches. I literally had to break it down and search each line of the address individually, it would bring up a few results, select one, then check the map on the unit to make sure it was in the right area of where I needed to go then take a chance on it.... In fairness I did end up in the wrong place a few times.

I bought one with worldwide mapping.

BMWHaus Contributor

Thats just using Canada as an example. Ive only really had that issue in Canada and Ireland, the post codes over there are completely useless. In the UK for example just bang in the post code and worst case scenario your going to be a half mile away from where you need to be. Im sure Italy is much the same.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Sat Nav Nuvi 56

Went over to Halfords to have a look at the 2595LMT which they are flogging for €149.99. They also had a Nuvi 56LM for €129.99. Didn't need BT or traffic and the only other thing it may have over the 56 was voice control. Didn't really need that either so I went for the 56 and with a case and home charger came to €139.99.

Just updating the maps now. Now I can get lost with confidence.