Thread: e36 LSD into e39 Medium case?

e36 LSD into e39 Medium case?

So I'm looking to get an LSD into my e39 530i. It's in dire need of one, inside wheel loves to spin wet/dry.

The LSD in the Auto 530i medium case LSD 3.46 ratio.

I was wondering would anyone know if the LSD from an E36 328i (i think) medium case LSD 3.46 ratio would fit into the e39 casing?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: e36 LSD into e39 Medium case?

Quote Originally Posted by davkav
    So I'm looking to get an LSD into my e39 530i. It's in dire need of one, inside wheel loves to spin wet/dry.

I was wondering would anyone know if the LSD from an E36 328i (i think) medium case LSD 3.46 ratio would fit into the e39 casing?
    Would an m5 lsd be a simpler option?

They only article I know that may help is this http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39898

Re: RE: e36 LSD into e39 Medium case?

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Quote Originally Posted by davkav

Would an m5 lsd be a simpler option?
    Not really, if an e36 lsd goes straight into an e39 casing that would be miles easier!

Plus m5 ratio would be wrong for the 3.0
    [hr]
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkySeeFunkyDoo
    They only article I know that may help is this http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39898
    Cheers. I know of Brians work alright but he's going the custom route. It is an option of course but I want to know definitively that the e36 will or will not fit the e39 casing.

I might pull my diff and measure up to compare against an e36 one.

BMWHaus Contributor

I have an opened e39 diff in the shed, Ill measure the unit in the morning to see if its the same size as the e36 one?

Im not sure on the units, but I know for a fact that the crown wheel and pinion are NOT interchangeable between e36 and e39. the e39 crown wheel is thicker and the pinion itself is bout 2 inches shorter than the e36 ones.