Thread: Claying the windscreen

BMWHaus Contributor

Claying the windscreen

Hi all,

I hope to give the car some TLC this weekend. I have a question for you detailing guru's, is it worth claying the windscreen?

My windscreen isn't quite as clear as I would like, will claying help clear up the haze you kind of get on the windscreen?

I have Autoglym Glass Polish that I will use on the windows too, is it better to clay before polishing like you would on the paint?

Any tips/advice is most welcome as I am a newbie when it comes to detailing my car.

Thanks in advance,
    Keith

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Claying the windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by KJ e46 M3
    Hi all,

I hope to give the car some TLC this weekend. I have a question for you detailing guru's, is it worth claying the windscreen?

My windscreen isn't quite as clear as I would like, will claying help clear up the haze you kind of get on the windscreen?

I have Autoglym Glass Polish that I will use on the windows too, is it better to clay before polishing like you would on the paint?

Any tips/advice is most welcome as I am a newbie when it comes to detailing my car.

Thanks in advance,
    Keith

No harm in it and have done. :wink:

Others will say no but also you can polish it it with 0000 grade steel wool. :surprised::happy:

Clean in the usual manner using clean lint free cloths, then use some vinegar to wipe over your work using a different clean cloth. If you dont have clean cloths, some newspaper works a treat. Nothing fancy in the above, but seriously effective.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by KJ e46 M3
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
    Keith
    Keith what is the haze you talk of? Is it when you use the wipers or just on the glass itself when the light catches it?

Glass polishing is IMPOSSIBLE by hand, even by machine it takes a few hours to get right with actual glass polish and pads.

Space Telescopes can take 2-3years to polish the glass lenses so chances are doing anything by hand is more of a bicep,tricep,forearm workout

Here is something from Detailing World:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few shots of a rare Chromolux rear screen from a Limited Edition Golf Mk2 G60 Syncro were were asked to correct by the owner.

In most cases a rear screen isn't expensive to replace, but as Chromolux glass is no longer available and horrendously expensive to buy in used condition it was a case of correction being the cheaper option.

This is what we started with:

During the lengthy process:

The finished results:

The money shot

This was a lengthy process, using a four sets of abrasive discs for the cutting and the final clarity was returned using our Elite Rayon Fibre Discs and CarPro Ceri Glass polish.

Time taken on this screen was 5-6 hours, so it's not a cheap job by any means but when replacing the glass isn't an option it's the only way.

Thanks for looking :thumb:

Alex

Clay is brilliant on windows, Give them a quick clean with glass cleaner then clay and then a final clean again. Clayed mine yesterday and even without rain-x they are repelling water quite well.

Edit: Chris ain't wrong about glass polishing, I had a go at my headlights using cerium oxide and a drill bit and after hours of work I only got about 20% of the blemishes out - I don't fancy doing a large glass panel at any stage in my life

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks for the input lads.

Chris that was some job they did on that rear window! I had no idea it took that long to polish space telescopes.

Maybe haze wasn't the right word to use but I did mean when the light catches it, it can be hard to see out of. I will have a go over the weekend of cleaning the windows and claying to them too. Hopefully that will make a good difference to it. Hopefully at the meet next week I will be telling how much better it is

BMWHaus Guru

It could be road grease too, i find the car picks this up after motorway journeys especially in the damp conditions we have been getting lately.

Good deep clean, clay and then try some glass sealant you wont look back, glass sealant is a life saver in our climate!

@[Curran] should have some in stock and guide you how best to apply it etc they are all different and have different ways of application and longevity

Administrator

Yeah; give me a shout for anything. ..evwn if you need me to get something in, thats not in stock on our site. ...wont be a problem if you dont mind waiting a few days!

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Curran
    Yeah; give me a shout for anything. ..evwn if you need me to get something in, thats not in stock on our site. ...wont be a problem if you dont mind waiting a few days!
    Thanks Dave, I only saw your response there now. To be honest it's long overdue I put in an order with you