Quote Originally Posted by KJ e46 M3
Hi all,

I hope to give the car some TLC this weekend. I have a question for you detailing guru's, is it worth claying the windscreen?

My windscreen isn't quite as clear as I would like, will claying help clear up the haze you kind of get on the windscreen?

I have Autoglym Glass Polish that I will use on the windows too, is it better to clay before polishing like you would on the paint?

Any tips/advice is most welcome as I am a newbie when it comes to detailing my car.

Thanks in advance,
Keith
Keith what is the haze you talk of? Is it when you use the wipers or just on the glass itself when the light catches it?

Glass polishing is IMPOSSIBLE by hand, even by machine it takes a few hours to get right with actual glass polish and pads.

Space Telescopes can take 2-3years to polish the glass lenses so chances are doing anything by hand is more of a bicep,tricep,forearm workout

Here is something from Detailing World:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few shots of a rare Chromolux rear screen from a Limited Edition Golf Mk2 G60 Syncro were were asked to correct by the owner.

In most cases a rear screen isn't expensive to replace, but as Chromolux glass is no longer available and horrendously expensive to buy in used condition it was a case of correction being the cheaper option.

This is what we started with:

During the lengthy process:

The finished results:

The money shot

This was a lengthy process, using a four sets of abrasive discs for the cutting and the final clarity was returned using our Elite Rayon Fibre Discs and CarPro Ceri Glass polish.

Time taken on this screen was 5-6 hours, so it's not a cheap job by any means but when replacing the glass isn't an option it's the only way.

Thanks for looking :thumb:

Alex