Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clamping Dispute

BMWHaus Guru

Clamping Dispute

Hi all,

I got towed and clamped today. I was parked on a side street beside clontarf garda station (where I park everyday) and came out from work to find my car gone! It didnt even cross my mind that it was towed as I wasnt parked on yellow lines etc, went straight into the garda station thinking it was nicked!

I was done for obstructing a driveway and I fully dispute this! What are the laws in ireland regarding distance from entrance? Bearing in mind that there are no road markings. I had parked so my bumper was before the pavement starts to slope to allow car access, does it need to be further? ie a 1.5m etc?

To make matters worse the towed the car from where it wasn't causing a problem, and deposited it into a traffic lane facing into it on the Clontarf road!! Ret@rds! I was getting some looks and people beeping at me while I was waiting for clampers, car even got the wing mirror clipped right in front of me! No damage though, I took this before traffic go bad at half five;

The clampers had to block two lanes so I could get out!

Rant haha! Do I have any come back? Or is it my word against theirs?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Clamping Dispute

Oh Ireland.......

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Oh Ireland.......
    Tell me about it! I know everyone feels hard done by when they get stung, but I genuinely believe there was no basis to tow me. The only thing I can think of was I was not back far enough from the entrance, total technicality but I'd accept it.

Most definitly complaining about where they left the car though! First thing the clamper said when he arrive totake off the clamp was "Jaysus, they left you in a stupid place, its going to be hard to get out of here!" :sad:

BMWHaus Contributor

Clamping Dispute

Did you park outside somebody's house? If so my guess was they rang to get it moved. Clampers took it of course as a way of earning money. I would highly doubt the did it without a complaint going into them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by KJ e46 M3
    Did you park outside somebody's house? If so my guess was they rang to get it moved. Clampers took it of course as a way of earning money. I would highly doubt the did it without a complaint going into them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep in a housing estate with no yellow lines on that side of the road? Oh I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm full sure I wasnt blocking the driveway, the only thing I can think of is that you need to be a certain distance from the entrance.

BMWHaus Contributor

Did the guards get a private company to move it? If not I would say the owners of the house could have payed to have it moved.

BMWHaus Contributor

Clamping Dispute

Wow they actually moved it there and then clamped it, where they left it is no parking before 7. I drive home most days that way and it drives me mad when idiots park there during rush hour forcing you to move into the right lane which is always backed up. I'm forever pointing out the sign.

I guess they put the car there so it's eligible to be clamped but very bizarre altogether.

BMWHaus Guru

Clamping Dispute

They might have been getting a delivery that needed a bigger swing than normal, unfortunately the only thing than can be done is for the clampers to move it

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    They might have been getting a delivery that needed a bigger swing than normal, unfortunately the only thing than can be done is for the clampers to move it
    That would be reasonable, but I'd would love to see the legislation on parking because I cant find anything on the details that relate to my situation. If i'm in the wrong, fair enough, I don't believe I was but I'll accept it.

Where they left me was daft, even the the guards had something to say about it when I went into them, was so mad over it!!

Funny how the emotions and head runs in the situation run when that happens, went from thinking the car was stolen to thinking I'm going to get a crap claim on my insurance because its so old (anything I can do about that, I do believe what makes my car special is the condition and low mileage?) to elation it was okay to being supremely pissed over where they abandoned it. I'd never park like that!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by E46Padge
    Did the guards get a private company to move it? If not I would say the owners of the house could have payed to have it moved.
    Was dublin city council, if was private and if I had space I would have removed it myself just to spite them.

EDIT: Was nothing to do with the guards, just happens to be very close to the station.