Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
Quote Originally Posted by Dave
Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
Thanks for the replies definitely number one priority is reliability as it's going to be used to back up irreplaceable things like photos etc (will more than likely get 2 of them to make 2 backups) any recommendation on a particular brand or kind of SSD or are they all generally reliable?
If its outright reliability then you should get a raid setup, hard drives fail, while SSD's are very reliable they can still fail.
I love learning something new Just did a bit of a google on them there, pardon my ignorance now but seems unless you get RAID1 or 5 you're just extending the space rather than safeguarding it? Where can you buy it? Would it be less expensive to get 2 x large SSDs (for 2 backups)? or maybe 3 regular external HDDs (for 3 backups)?
Well you could by 2 x 3.5" sata drives pretty cheap, run Raid1 and your information should be quite safe. The benefits of using a raid setup is the management of redundant data.

It'll be much harder to manage two external drives manually.

You can get a standard usb 2 bay external unit but if it were me I'd get an external NAS drive running Raid 1.

A NAS raid setup will probably be more expensive but will provide the highest level of security