Thread: Best external HDD?

BMWHaus Guru

Lightbulb Best external HDD?

What brand should I go for? Something that's good quality and reliable etc?

BMWHaus Guru

Best external HDD?

I've always found western digital and seagate good.

In my opinion they fail because they inevitably take an impact when the platters are engaged, that can happen with any drive.

How much content is it, could you upload the important info to Dropbox?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Best external HDD?

I had a western digital for about 3 years without any problems untill i dropped it. I using a Toshiba for the past two years now and its been perfect

BMWHaus Contributor

samsung m3, beast of a yoke and tough as grannys tits
    sexy 6 potter

BMWHaus Guru

Thanks for the replies definitely number one priority is reliability as it's going to be used to back up irreplaceable things like photos etc (will more than likely get 2 of them to make 2 backups) any recommendation on a particular brand or kind of SSD or are they all generally reliable?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    Thanks for the replies definitely number one priority is reliability as it's going to be used to back up irreplaceable things like photos etc (will more than likely get 2 of them to make 2 backups) any recommendation on a particular brand or kind of SSD or are they all generally reliable?
    If its outright reliability then you should get a raid setup, hard drives fail, while SSD's are very reliable they can still fail.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    If its outright reliability then you should get a raid setup, hard drives fail, while SSD's are very reliable they can still fail.
    I love learning something new Just did a bit of a google on them there, pardon my ignorance now but seems unless you get RAID1 or 5 you're just extending the space rather than safeguarding it? Where can you buy it? Would it be less expensive to get 2 x large SSDs (for 2 backups)? or maybe 3 regular external HDDs (for 3 backups)?

BMWHaus Guru

Best external HDD?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I love learning something new Just did a bit of a google on them there, pardon my ignorance now but seems unless you get RAID1 or 5 you're just extending the space rather than safeguarding it? Where can you buy it? Would it be less expensive to get 2 x large SSDs (for 2 backups)? or maybe 3 regular external HDDs (for 3 backups)?
    Well you could by 2 x 3.5" sata drives pretty cheap, run Raid1 and your information should be quite safe. The benefits of using a raid setup is the management of redundant data.

It'll be much harder to manage two external drives manually.

You can get a standard usb 2 bay external unit but if it were me I'd get an external NAS drive running Raid 1.

A NAS raid setup will probably be more expensive but will provide the highest level of security