Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat Nav

BMWHaus Contributor

Sat Nav

Going away for 8 days in a few weeks time and usually hire out a SatNat from the car rental company. They can charge up to €10 p/d so me’s thinking it might be more long term efficient to purchase a unit and write the cost off over a few trips.

I don’t need anything hyper fancy but a reasonable screen (get used to the bigger screen in the M) and a good POI to help locate and find hotels and restaurants in whatever place one finds oneself. Being portable as well for carrying around when walking would be nice.

I was thinking of this a Garmin 2595LMT which is a Pixmania Staff pick. Seems to fit the bill.

Garmin Nuvi 2595LTM

TBH, I don’t really want to spend much more just in case it’s not used in future.

Anyone got one of these or any thoughts on the unit itself?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Sat Nav

Quote Originally Posted by IrishEyes
    Going away for 8 days in a few weeks time and usually hire out a SatNat from the car rental company. They can charge up to €10 p/d so me’s thinking it might be more long term efficient to purchase a unit and write the cost off over a few trips.

I don’t need anything hyper fancy but a reasonable screen (get used to the bigger screen in the M) and a good POI to help locate and find hotels and restaurants in whatever place one finds oneself. Being portable as well for carrying around when walking would be nice.

I was thinking of this a Garmin 2595LMT which is a Pixmania Staff pick. Seems to fit the bill.

Garmin Nuvi 2595LTM

TBH, I don’t really want to spend much more just in case it’s not used in future.

what about a nav app for your phone,there fairly good and only need a decent car mount.

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: Sat Nav

Quote Originally Posted by satumashirt611

Garmin Nuvi 2595LTM

what about a nav app for your phone,there fairly good and only need a decent car mount.
    Data roaming costs a fortune. I was in the same dilemma a whole back and picked up a basic Tom Tom in halfords UK and Europe for less than rental price . no complaints I haven't used it much. Just be sure and update it before your trip

BMWHaus Contributor

Garmin Nuvi 2595LTM

@[IrishEyes] I bought the Garmin 2597 LM from Halfords recently, while it lacks the live traffic updates its a newer model than the 2595 for slightly cheaper. Lifetime European map updates too and also get a free app so that you can choose routes on your phone and sent it to the satnav, not sure if you get that with the 2595 but its handy at times.

I found the 2597 LM very good to use, easy to search for locations and its quick to react.

http://www.halfords.ie/sat-nav-audio/sat-nav-gps/sat-nav/garmin-nuvi-2597-lm-full-europe-5-sat-nav

BMWHaus Contributor

Thought of that but the Samsung SmartPhone I have is a POS and not worthy of the cause. Screen too small and as kevin mentioned, possible roaming charges. So worst of both worlds. :-) Probably better off with a dedicated unit although it may not be used afterwards. Might consider a more basic unit.

Quote Originally Posted by satumashirt611

BMWHaus Guru

Think PeterE36 discussed this before drop him a PM see what he did

Check adverts plenty on there going cheap http://www.adverts.ie/6096732

BMWHaus Contributor

I did look at Halfords but didn't see this. Interesting. And Gar's post re cheaper units. Never thought of this either so now I'm spoilt for choice.

Might nip over and have a look at them.

Thanks guys

:wink:
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ e46 M3

@[IrishEyes] I bought the Garmin 2597 LM from Halfords recently, while it lacks the live traffic updates its a newer model than the 2595 for slightly cheaper. Lifetime European map updates too and also get a free app so that you can choose routes on your phone and sent it to the satnav, not sure if you get that with the 2595 but its handy at times.

I found the 2597 LM very good to use, easy to search for locations and its quick to react.

http://www.halfords.ie/sat-nav-audio/sat-nav-gps/sat-nav/garmin-nuvi-2597-lm-full-europe-5-sat-nav

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer
    Think PeterE36 discussed this before drop him a PM see what he did
    A very generous member (who I never met nor spoke to before) posted me his GPS to use on my road trip in the US earlier in the summer. Couldn't have been more grateful, gotta love community spirit

I'm sorry that I can't help! I will definitely be investing in a GPS with worldwide maps (if you can get one with worldwide maps??) for future roadtrips though as it's something my other half and I plan to do a lot of. Can't hurt to have it anyway

BMWHaus Contributor

Hi Peter, most of the units on sale in these parts seem to come with either the UK+ROI or the Full European maps. I believe it's easy enough to download and add the US (probably around €60 or so) once there's enough space on the memory card. Thanks for the posting. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36

A very generous member (who I never met nor spoke to before) posted me his GPS to use on my road trip in the US earlier in the summer. Couldn't have been more grateful, gotta love community spirit

I'm sorry that I can't help! I will definitely be investing in a GPS with worldwide maps (if you can get one with worldwide maps??) for future roadtrips though as it's something my other half and I plan to do a lot of. Can't hurt to have it anyway