Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECB Rate Cut

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

ECB Rate Cut

Thought I'd post up this article in light of the ECB interest rate cut this week

http://www.thejournal.ie/interest-rate-impact-on-irish-borrowers-1654189-Sep2014/

Anyone who's on a tracker will see their mortgage payment fall again now. However now is a great opportunity to make inroads into the mortgage while rates are low and before they inevitably rise in a few years time.

If you take your saving (or a bit more) if you can afford it and make an additional payment to your mortgage not only will it reduce the effective term of the mortgage it'll also mean you have a lower loan balance when rates rise again at some point in the future. If needs be you can cancel the overpayment at that stage so the impact of the rate rise is not so severe.

I think the best way to make the additional payment is to set up a standing order to your mortgage account. You can set it up or cancel it online without having to talk to anyone in the bank which would be the case if you wanted to change the existing direct debit.

We shouldn't forget ecb rates were very low up 2008 but when they started to rise it was very very quickly.

Just my 2p

RE: ECB Rate Cut

Personally, I pay every 4 weeks instead of every month, giving me an additional 1 payment per calendar year (13 payments every 4 weeks versus 12 monthly payments). A small yet significant (to me) interest saving at the end of the term.

BMWHaus Guru

Some good information there @[JohnH] and @[ciars]

im glad now we didnt ban you after selling the e92

BMWHaus Guru

ECB Rate Cut

Quote Originally Posted by ciars
    Personally, I pay every 4 weeks instead of every month, giving me an additional 1 payment per calendar year (13 payments every 4 weeks versus 12 monthly payments). A small yet significant (to me) interest saving at the end of the term.
    @[ciars] That should give a big saving. I remember hearing years ago if you make 13 payments a year rather than the normal 12 it would mean you'd repay a 30 mortgage in 23 years, resulting in 7 years interest being saved

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    @[ciars] That should give a big saving. I remember hearing years ago if you make 13 payments a year rather than the normal 12 it would mean you'd repay a 30 mortgage in 23 years, resulting in 7 years interest being saved
    Yup its something along those lines alright. I've yet to do the math but it will be fairly substantial....especially seeing as I'm now on a variable rate having lost my tracker when I moved homes a few years ago :crying:

BMWHaus Guru

ECB Rate Cut

That's something I would definitely do if I was paid weekly or bi-weekly but I'm currently paid monthly so some months it wouldn't work out for me.

BMWHaus Guru

ECB Rate Cut

Quote Originally Posted by John_D
    That's something I would definitely do if I was paid weekly or bi-weekly but I'm currently paid monthly so some months it wouldn't work out for me.
    I'm paid monthly so do a monthly standing order. €100 per month is €1,200 over the year compared to about €1,100 for the mortgage payment

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: ECB Rate Cut

Over paying monthly by 8.33% will have the same effect as an extra monthly payment over the year, apologies if that's not what you mean by not working for you.
    Kevin

BMWHaus Guru

ECB Rate Cut

True that, I'm a tired boy at the moment so maths ain't working for me right now
    [hr]
    Would I have to clear it with my lender first or just fire ahead and make extra payments to my account?
    I presume it would work like any other eft transaction?

BMWHaus Guru

ECB Rate Cut

True that, I'm a tired boy at the moment so maths ain't working for me right now
    [hr]
    Would I have to clear it with my lender first or just fire ahead and make extra payments to my account?
    I presume it would work like any other eft transaction?
    No just fire ahead, you might just need the account number to pay into which your lender will give you