Thread: Intermittent "Ticking" Top-End...

BMWHaus Contributor

Intermittent "Ticking" Top-End...

Morning folks,

I've got an intermittent ticking noise from the top end (m50b20tu) for a while now, not sure what causes it but I've only noticed it sitting in traffic (cars side-by-side rebounding the noise), but mostly with a warm engine on hot days.

Fairly certain a good drive is what cures it, but I only hear it in traffic and not when I'm parking up at home after getting out of the traffic

I'm wondering is there an oil feed that's common to clog or would it be a hydraulic tappet issue?

Has anybody else noticed/experienced it with the same eninge? Would a different oil grade help?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Intermittent "Ticking" Top-End...

Sounds like hyd lifters Every m50 and m52 I've had has done this to some degree, the correct grade of oil makes a big difference on these and also regular oil changes

BMWHaus Guru

My bet is the tank vent valve, was giving issues on my M52B28. Couldn't for the life of my figure out where and what was causing the noise, eventually turned out to be the problem. Is actually common enough and BMW resigned it in later models. There is also a guide in TIS to remedy the problem if the owner complains

Put your hand on it and and if you can feel the valve pulsing sync with the ticking sound, there you go

http://jackassofalltrades.com/ticker.html

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    My bet is the tank vent valve, was giving issues on my M52B28. Couldn't for the life of my figure out where and what was causing the noise, eventually turned out to be the problem. Is actually common enough and BMW resigned it in later models. There is also a guide in TIS to remedy the problem if the owner complains

Put your hand on it and and if you can feel the valve pulsing sync with the ticking sound, there you go

Was your car running rough because of it or just clicking? Mine needs to be replaced/cleaned too.

If it's not the above, could it be the cat?

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: Intermittent "Ticking" Top-End...

Quote Originally Posted by hamish262001
    Sounds like hyd lifters Every m50 and m52 I've had has done this to some degree, the correct grade of oil makes a big difference on these and also regular oil changes
    So if it is I'm looking at re-shimming them? I used Castrol 10w40 last time I serviced her just under a year ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketron

It sounds more like an oil issue tbh but I'll try that at the weekemd and see what I get

BMWHaus Contributor

10w40 sounds right might be due a change especially since your in stop/start city driving. No shims on them, could be worn or some dirt in them, a flush may help

I'd put money on a loose spark or 2