Thread: Best way to extend wifi coverage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Best way to extend wifi coverage?

Well lads, having trouble with they wifi at home in that it doesn't reach west end of the house (the router is at the east end). The problem is that the house is a bungalow so it's long but not high.

What I have bought:
    New router
    Sufficient cable to reach opposite end of house
    Some wall sockets

Now my question is should I be tapping into the line that supply's the other router or should I use an output port on the existing router to send the broadband signal to the new router?

My second question is, can I "extend" the signal by calling the new router the same name and use the same password (I would imagine not) or do I have to create a new wifi network completely?
    I would obviously prefer the extending option...

If anybody has any knowledge or answers to these stupid questions I'd be delighted.

Btw: I've already tried those network extenders that plug in the wall and found they don't work in my house.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Best way to extend wifi coverage?

outport port on the router,harvey norman are fairly cheap with the proper cable.ive had same issues but in a stone house,ran the wires through the attic.

BMWHaus Contributor

Did you have a desperate naked wifi network and password so?

I'm was just wondering would the output port kill some speed.

Thanks for the reply satsumashirt!

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

speed is better on the wired and more stable.i tried using multiple routers but couldn't get it to work properly,signal strength would come and go and then no connection.easier for me to run wires and less grief.

Quote Originally Posted by satumashirt611
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

speed is better on the wired and more stable.i tried using multiple routers but couldn't get it to work properly,signal strength would come and go and then no connection.easier for me to run wires and less grief.
    Signal dropping on routers would point to channel issues. I would chose channels on different end of spectrum on this case. Or even use 5ghz spectrum on one router and 2.4ghz on other.

Connect two routers via ethernet ports, use same ssid, password and security type, but use different channels. Disable routing and dhcp on the second router (the one not connected to wan). Assign static ip, different from ip on router 1 to router 2 for management purposes. After that wifi roaming should work. Sometimes consumer class routers don't like this kind of setup. If you experience errors, use different ssid's on routers and select between networks manually, depending on your location in house.

BMWHaus Contributor

There is signal boosters you can buy that plug into a 3pin wall socket. You plug one into the wall with an ethernet cable into your router and you plug in the other booster in the room you need the signal boosted with the ethernet cable into your machine