Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poly bushing Pros/Cons

Poly bushing Pros/Cons

Im going to fit poly bushings to my coupe just wondering what ae the pros and cons of it currently running jom coilovers.

Does polybushing the car make it very uncomfortable for a daily driver?

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Poly bushing Pros/Cons

Road noise. Drive noise. But tighter all round feel. If it's a daily I wouldnt bother tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by listermint
    Road noise. Drive noise. But tighter all round feel. If it's a daily I wouldnt bother tbh.

Im debating to do the lot or just the rear trailing arm ones.

BMWHaus Guru

I won't beat around the bush, ( ) poly bushes will certainly make the car less comfortable. But then so do coilovers, so just really depends on what you're after. Will you be hooning it every chance you get or just normal daily driving? If normal daily driving, I would recommend poly rtabs and BMW 3.0L M3 eccentric wishbone bushes.

Something to consider though is that the poly bushes are lifetime, so would be nice to know you won't be replacing them again anytime soon. That's one of the reason I powerflex'd everything!

BMWHaus Guru

Poly bushing Pros/Cons

I had powerflex wishbone bushes in my E46 and replaced with oem after a month. Handling felt great and car was a bit harder on the road but the extra road noise and vibration were annoying me. Interior trim rattles appeared that were never there before.
    Having said all that I will be installing a poly diff bushing due to its longevity and ease of installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36
    I won't beat around the bush, ( ) poly bushes will certainly make the car less comfortable. But then so do coilovers, so just really depends on what you're after. Will you be hooning it every chance you get or just normal daily driving? If normal daily driving, I would recommend poly rtabs and BMW 3.0L M3 eccentric wishbone bushes.

Something to consider though is that the poly bushes are lifetime, so would be nice to know you won't be replacing them again anytime soon. That's one of the reason I powerflex'd everything!
    No hooning anyways ill leave that for the track car. Looking for good handling getting pretty good handling with the coilovers but i know they are damaging probably most of my other suspension components.

Planning on keeping this car for a long time so i want to knock out the most common e36 suspension problems before they even start.

BMWHaus Guru

I'd say there's no need for them so performance wise, just your call if you're willing to endure the harsher ride for the sake of not having to replace bushes all the time. @[Venom] is running JOMs with BMW bushes and iirc he had to replace them a couple of times in a short enough space of time, maybe he can give more feedback on what it'd be like with coilovers and original bushes.

I'd say there's no need for them so performance wise, just your call if you're willing to endure the harsher ride for the sake of not having to replace bushes all the time. @[Venom] is running JOMs with BMW bushes and iirc he had to replace them a couple of times in a short enough space of time, maybe he can give more feedback on what it'd be like with coilovers and original bushes.
    Thats what would annoy me i like to fix things once and forget about them. If i knew the common bushes that go when running coils id just poly them and finish with it.

BMWHaus Guru

Re: RE: Poly bushing Pros/Cons

Quote Originally Posted by owly
    Thats what would annoy me i like to fix things once and forget about them. If i knew the common bushes that go when running coils id just poly them and finish with it.
    One thing to factor in is road surface. I chose not to go poly due to living in the back of beyond. I would rather change a few bushes than accelerate wear on other items due to poor roads. I say if your on decent roads go for it. Would be nice to have a low and stiff car for the twisty bits. The other consideration is what grade poly to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Quote Originally Posted by owly
    One thing to factor in is road surface. I chose not to go poly due to living in the back of beyond. I would rather change a few bushes than accelerate wear on other items due to poor roads. I say if your on decent roads go for it. Would be nice to have a low and stiff car for the twisty bits. The other consideration is what grade poly to choose.
    I also live in the sticks :crying: What bushes go on your car on a regular bases?