Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weight distribution adjustable by changing ride height?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Lightbulb Weight distribution adjustable by changing ride height?

So, after a good bit of driving around since the coilovers were fitted, I noticed the front end is very tight and the car changes direction beautifully! Problem is, it feels like the rear "can't keep up" or slow to react to the change of direction, at speed it makes the car feel a bit unsettled in the back, for example on a long fast bend on the motorway changing direction upsets the rear.

Now, is this due to the "rake" on the car shifting weight to the front making the rear too light? Or does that not make any sense? Or is it because JOMs are shyte? Something tells me it's not the JOMs though. Car was aligned and all the suspension is new..

Will raising the front to match the rear (which is the plan anyway as having a low car is hopelessly impractical) distribute the weight equally again? Is there somewhere that can weigh the car at all corners and adjust the coilovers to spread the weight as evenly as possible? Or is this not possible?

RE: Weight distribution adjustable by changing ride height?

Were the Subframe bush's changed ?

Maybe bolt a rear strut brace in is well

Coupes have no b pillar so do flex more but not enough to notice it on the road if your only noticing it now id say the joms simply dont cut the mustard for you (standards not high enough)

Also when you changed wheels did you go for a narrower tyre maybe this would have an effect

BMWHaus Guru

Subframe bushes not changed but were checked and are perfect. There's a rear strut brace on it, it's weird I do feel the effect of the rear strut brace but I also feel the rear is light. The rear tyres are 225/45/17 same as what was on the Rotas. Only difference is that I'm running 225/45/17 on the front too rather than the 215/45/17 I had before. I don't think it's an issue with the tyres though. It feels like the rear is either too light or too soft. Is there a place that can weigh the car at all corners do you know?

Can rule tyres out so , but i wouldn't rule the subframe out at 100k and +15 yrs id say they are past it

Yep you can get the car corner weighted do a search on google it should pop up im not sure of the names of any places that do it valdas might know i think autoremap done it to his track car a while ago is well

From what iv read joms are soft in the rear though

BMWHaus Guru

Weight distribution adjustable by changing ride height?

My car felt similar to what you are describing, after I completed the suspension refresh the issue was resolved.

My subframe bushes looked ok but were not great when removed.

BMWHaus Guru

Lowering the car will give a lower center of gravity and result in better handling. Raising the height in the rear will make it boaty in the back, from personal experience it's all the way or nothing with the JOMs. Perhaps other coilovers with a dampening option could cope better. Maybe someone like Ketron could advise.

BMWHaus Guru

Ah, testicles!! I thought I was done with bloody suspension at this stage.. I still reckon it's the rake rather than subframe bushes though, I think they were changed at some stage because I asked Cab to really change anything that he felt needed to be changed at all or that was worth doing anyway even if it "wasn't too bad".

Must check out corner weighting! Hopefully somewhere nearby does it.

BMWHaus Guru

Was martins track evo not set up professionaly by someone? I think he had it in his thread.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Was martins track evo not set up professionaly by someone? I think he had it in his thread.
    Found it

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showpost.php?p=415442&postcount=64

BMWHaus Guru

Oh and also might be worth while sending a pm to Mr Hobbs as he has custom springs in the rear of his 325 and done a few other bits. Might help :wink: