Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 coupe Heater issue

E36 coupe Heater issue

Have a e36 318tds coupe

My problem is the blower is working but there is no heat coming just cold air.

Im just wondering is there any common problems that cause this?

Car comes up to temperature as it should so its not a thermostat problem.

Any ideas?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 coupe Heater issue

Jack the car up, run her to temp, rad cap off, heaters on full, get a long pipe that will fit into the expansion bottle, fill it with water to allow you force any air out while turning the bleed screw on the top of the rad. Failing that I have a full matrix, panel and heater control valve available for sale for a coupe.

What will that process do the car is not air locked running and driving perfect. Thanks for the reply btw

I was more leaning towards there is something giving trouble with the hot/cold dial some valve not doing what it should?

BMWHaus Guru

I had a similar situation, car ran fine but no hot air. Was convinved there was no air in the system, bled it again and bingo. You could also take the valve off and check for blockages etc. I don't think the its the final resistor because from reading a post recently you would have no air blowing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    I had a similar situation, car ran fine but no hot air. Was convinved there was no air in the system, bled it again and bingo. You could also take the valve off and check for blockages etc. I don't think the its the final resistor because from reading a post recently you would have no air blowing at all.
    It blows but wont blow hot air for some reason. I will bleed it again and see might replace the rad also as its only in average shape.

Im convinced there is some valve somewhere sticking but sure ill give that a go first

Definite sign of trapped air, needs to be bled again properly

I had the same peoblem with my e36, I bled it and changed the thermostat still no joy. It was the heater valve, €20 in the scraper and dosent take long to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Johny14586
    I had the same peoblem with my e36, I bled it and changed the thermostat still no joy. It was the heater valve, €20 in the scraper and dosent take long to change.
    Id be suspicious that could be my problem where abouts is it? Coming from from the bulkhead somewhere?

Yeah on the bulkhead passenger side beside the battery tray

Quote Originally Posted by Johny14586
    Yeah on the bulkhead passenger side beside the battery tray
    Are them valves moved by cables or are they electronically controlled?