Thread: Apprentice in a Pickle..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Apprentice in a Pickle..

Evenening all,

Just looking for a bit of advice from some qualified tradesmen.

I'm in a bit of a pickle in work. I'm supposed to be heading off to FÁS for ph6 in January but our 1st year went to ph2 last week and wont be back till mid February and I'm afraid that I'll be kept from going to ph6. I was held back from ph4 by the job last September which I completed early this year and was told I wouldn't be held back again.

But I know for a fact the job would have a panic attack at merley the thought of only having 3 technicians for the new year (main dealer) and I fear that will be the excuse to hold me back again.

I was talking with a friend last week and he said if I they try hold me back to hand in my notice, go to ph6 and spend the 10 weeks searching for a new job.

On a side note, I'm not overly happy in the job and leaving has been on my mind but not with ph6 impending so soon.

What are your opinions? Is it worth the risk? What position is the trade in at the moment for ph7 mechanics waiting to finish their time??

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BMWHaus Guru

Re: Apprentice in a Pickle..

Something similar happened to me. I was held back from phase6 coz the lad behind me was going on phase4 and when he returned we were both on phase5 then. I was over a year and half waiting to go on phase6 then when I went and returned I found the other lad had already been sent on ph6 so there was no waiting on his part. Then the job kept me on ph7 for over a year and half with no pay increase and no sign of finishing. I ended up contacting fas who visited the premises and their answer was for the boss to sign off ph7 keep me on for 6 weeks then get rid of me because they didn't want to fork out the full wage. So I'm sorry to say you'll probably be fucked over no matter what you do.

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

RE: Apprentice in a Pickle..

(non-trade)

I'm guessing one option is to let them know in a non-threatening way that you're prepared to quit and go phase 6 by yourself if they won't let you, which sounds like a lose-lose situation as they'll still be down someone in the new year.

Is there any way to make the situation work for both parties? If they let you go for phase 6 and don't have you for the new year, what can you do to make things easier for them? Or is there something they can do for you instead of letting you go for phase 6? Immediate pay rise or similar?

Get any promises of future benefits in writing, or better yet no promises, just immediate actions.

BMWHaus Contributor

Sure if you got your pay rise for ph6 you'd be laughing

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: Apprentice in a Pickle..

Quote Originally Posted by outofbandii
    (non-trade)

I'm guessing one option is to let them know in a non-threatening way that you're prepared to quit and go phase 6 by yourself if they won't let you, which sounds like a lose-lose situation as they'll still be down someone in the new year.

Is there any way to make the situation work for both parties? If they let you go for phase 6 and don't have you for the new year, what can you do to make things easier for them? Or is there something they can do for you instead of letting you go for phase 6? Immediate pay rise or similar?

Get any promises of future benefits in writing, or better yet no promises, just immediate actions.
    If I told them my intentions they'd probably just let me go there and then. I'm due my pay rise in two weeks regardless of going to ph6. There's nothing I can do to benefit them for the 6 week overlap of my ph6 and the other lad on ph2, they'll be missing a body from the workshop either way

BMWHaus Contributor

Anybody else got any advice? Head is wrecked..

BMWHaus Contributor

You need to sit down and have a talk this mIght make your mind up. Maybe contact fas they did help me before. I was on a 3 month trail if I passed the trail I was told I would be registered 7 months down the line no joy. So I contacted fas and they contacted my boss and I was registered.

If your not happy in the job try get another. Life's to short.

BMWHaus Contributor

Unfortunately there's only one person can make the decision, you.
    We all have personal situations that influence our decisions, family, loans ect
    That said when dealing with situations like this it's up to you to make things happen the company will string you along for as long as possible to keep their costs down.
    Avoid ultimatums, at the end of the day we're only numbers, the place will not fall apart if you leave.
    Try fas, argue your case, all you can do is your best and make your decision knowing your options.
    If it's any help when your old and decrepit you will more than likely regret the stuff that you didn't do opposed to the things you did :wink:
    Hope it works out in your favour