Thread: e36 lambda problem

BMWHaus Contributor

e36 lambda problem

one of the o2 sensors failed last week, so changed both of them today to be on the safe side. both new from bmw.

cleared the fault codes from the car, took it for a quick spin, plugged it back in to make sure there was no more faults codes present and lo and behold have these 2 on it now………..
    (won't let me upload pics for some reason)

1……...Lambda control stop (bank 2)

2……...o2 sensor heater circuit (bank 1, sensor 2)

anyone shed any light on this? did I get a fault sensor?

it a 98 323i.

RE: e36 lambda problem

The way I check lambda sensors is get a multimeter if you have one set it to resistance setting unplug your second lambda sensor and plug in the positive and negative terminals where the two white wires (or same colour) are towards the connection side and see if there is any resistance there. If the multimeter shows no signs of life then the heater in the lambda sensor is gone. If it's showing some life then your problem is back to the wiring or Ecu.

Apologies for the bad explanation I'm not great on explaining things hopefully you understood what I meant..

I don't work on too many BMWs at my garage tbh so I couldn't tell you the cause of the top of my head. Hopefully that points you to the right direction anyway.