I'm having an annoying issue with my fuel gauge. I appear to have fallen victim to a common e36 fault. It won't show anything but empty.

Now a little history to this issue is it was a case of up till recently it would decide to show empty but with a little flick it would register again and all was fine. So as you do I didn't mind much.

Last week I had the cluster out doing another job and when I put it back the gauge now permanently shows as empty (no amount of flicking helped :tounge

I have yet to take it back out but as there are only three connections to the back I'm pretty sure I have it wired in correctly as the speedo etc are working fine.

I have done the binnacle test and all the gauges work as they should.

I have checked the fuses and all appear to be fine (if it means anything one for the elec windows did go recently but was replaced with the correct one and they now work fine)

I'm in a fortunate position at the minute that I pretty much have a spare everything but before I go replacing parts for the sake of it I said I'd ask here if there is any know fix for this.

I have read Ken's thread on here (fuse does not appear to be my issue) and various other online sources and none seem to 100% resolve this. It seems it's a case of this can be caused by several things?

I don't own a multimeter but I assume I'll need to invest. :hehe!:

Any help much appreciated men, thanks.