Thread: steering rack e 61

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

steering rack e 61

does anybody know what is the best source for a reconditioned steering rack or discounted new one for 2008 520 d e61 touring .
    rack lashing oil through boot O/S . I need a rack in a hurry if anybody has info please reply regards bugs

BMWHaus Guru

steering rack e 61

Driveshaft services do recon ones, give them a buzz. Turn around from them getting your own is about 2 days

driveshaft.ie/
    Drive Shaft Services Unit 14, Parkmore Ind. Est. Longmile Rd., Dublin 12. Tel: (01 ) 4501905. Fax: (01) 4501901. E-mail: ...

RE: steering rack e 61

thanks very much I have e mailed them and await news -I will let you know current costs and info regards bugs

Quote Originally Posted by bugs
    thanks very much I have e mailed them and await news -I will let you know current costs and info regards bugs
    RE STEERING RACK REPLACEMENT .
    JOB WILL TAKE A DAY BY THE TIME YOU ARE SET UP and you need a lift and to remove wheels --be careful when you jack the body you must have a square peg in the plastic jacking points as if you use the sill you might not get the door open afterwards .
    a platform lift is not useful we adapted a lift to leave the area around the subframe clear I will try and send a photo .
    the guards come off the bottom and you take off the sub plate and the sub frame all aluminium and the heat guard from the rack .
    count the threads left on the steering arms and do not back off the locknut more than a half turn --this will help you get the steering back to approx. right until it is tracked --I was 3 mm out on the left even taking care .
    you must have steering straight ahead and VERY IMPORTANT LOCK STEERING LEFT AND COUNT DISTANCE 1.5 TURNS AND 1.5 TURNS RIGHT CONFIRMS CENTER WITH A PLASTIC KNIFE EDGE WHIS IS SUPPLIED HELD BETWEEN THE LOCKING NUT ON THE HARDY SPICER WHICH LINES UP WITH A MARK ON THE RACK BODY BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT---- FIT IN REVERSE AND CHECK CENTER WITH THE SAME METHOD--WE FOUND WE GOT A SPORT RACK IN EXCHANGE FOR OUR BASIC RACK --SPORT RACK HAS 1.2 TURNS LEFT +1.2 RIGHT WHICH WILL FOOL YOU FOR A MINUTE UNTIL YOU FIGURE IT OUT --body of rack has the same nos however less teeth in both the pinion and rack of sport rack to give higher gearing .
    NOTE ENGINE HAS TO BE LIFTED AND LIFT PLANNED AS THE ENGINE WILL BE 8FT OFF THE GROUND we used a teleporter as the engine mounts must detach from the subframe .
    a 5 series is much lighter construction than I thought and there is a lot of clever engineering to get this result at the expense of the mechanic who is put to a lot of trouble to do what should be a simple job -- far too much CAD WORK and not enough simplicity -- it is too clever as they use the housing of the steering as an additional stress member to save weight elsewhere and what is 2 hours on another car can be 9-10 hours on a 5 series on another car the steering rack is bolted to a steel cross member of the suspension and it is simply a bolt on item like an alt or starter--this is a pain in the arse for someone like me and most others who are not set up to work on cars like this .
    cost 325 euros plus vat plus 100 euros deposit from driveshaft services .
    the rack works is not leaking and steers straight --I do not think I was overcharged and I did not even think what BMW would charge .
    as I was told the job was lengthy .
    hope this helps someone Regards Bugs

RE STEERING RACK REPLACEMENT .
    JOB WILL TAKE A DAY BY THE TIME YOU ARE SET UP and you need a lift and to remove wheels --be careful when you jack the body you must have a square peg in the plastic jacking points as if you use the sill you might not get the door open afterwards .
    a platform lift is not useful we adapted a lift to leave the area around the subframe clear I will try and send a photo .
    the guards come off the bottom and you take off the sub plate and the sub frame all aluminium and the heat guard from the rack .
    count the threads left on the steering arms and do not back off the locknut more than a half turn --this will help you get the steering back to approx. right until it is tracked --I was 3 mm out on the left even taking care .
    you must have steering straight ahead and VERY IMPORTANT LOCK STEERING LEFT AND COUNT DISTANCE 1.5 TURNS AND 1.5 TURNS RIGHT CONFIRMS CENTER WITH A PLASTIC KNIFE EDGE WHIS IS SUPPLIED HELD BETWEEN THE LOCKING NUT ON THE HARDY SPICER WHICH LINES UP WITH A MARK ON THE RACK BODY BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT---- FIT IN REVERSE AND CHECK CENTER WITH THE SAME METHOD--WE FOUND WE GOT A SPORT RACK IN EXCHANGE FOR OUR BASIC RACK --SPORT RACK HAS 1.2 TURNS LEFT +1.2 RIGHT WHICH WILL FOOL YOU FOR A MINUTE UNTIL YOU FIGURE IT OUT --body of rack has the same nos however less teeth in both the pinion and rack of sport rack to give higher gearing .
    NOTE ENGINE HAS TO BE LIFTED AND LIFT PLANNED AS THE ENGINE WILL BE 8FT OFF THE GROUND we used a teleporter as the engine mounts must detach from the subframe .
    a 5 series is much lighter construction than I thought and there is a lot of clever engineering to get this result at the expense of the mechanic who is put to a lot of trouble to do what should be a simple job -- far too much CAD WORK and not enough simplicity -- it is too clever as they use the housing of the steering as an additional stress member to save weight elsewhere and what is 2 hours on another car can be 9-10 hours on a 5 series on another car the steering rack is bolted to a steel cross member of the suspension and it is simply a bolt on item like an alt or starter--this is a pain in the a*** for someone like me and most others who are not set up to work on cars like this .
    cost 325 euros plus vat plus 100 euros deposit from driveshaft services .
    the rack works is not leaking and steers straight --I do not think I was overcharged and I did not even think what BMW would charge .
    as I was told the job was lengthy .
    hope this helps someone Regards Bugs
    sorry forgot one important item THE STEERING HAS A SPEED SENSOR WHICH ONLY GIVES YOU POWER STEERING AT LOW SPEEDS AND IT HAS A TINY BRASS MESH FILTER RESTING LOOSE ON THE NOSE OF THE SENSOR WITH A O RING --- MAKE SURE YOU FIT WHEN THE RACK IS ON THE BENCH AND NOT AT THE LAST MINUTE LIKE THIS IDIOT WHEN THE RACK IS AT AN ODD ANGLE AND CAN LAND YOU IN TROUBLE .

BMWHaus Guru

steering rack e 61

Don't use all caps, it's looks like you're shouting, is hard to read but most of all it's just annoying

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    Don't use all caps, it's looks like you're shouting, is hard to read but most of all it's just annoying
    dear John
    I will try and refrain from using caps --I never intended to shout --when you are approaching 60 years of age you find that ingredients and other vital information are deliberately extra small print and also grey on a silver background or other similar messing .
    I once stubbornly persisted for a few days and got the actual fire cert on roofing I was going to use it was 23 pages long written by a sadist however on page 22 I found they conducted their fire test behind a sheet of gypsum which gave naturally a totally dishonest finding --
    I REBEL BY SUMMARISING THE CORE MESSAGE IN CAPS sorry -sorry- sorry.
    when you are my age large type will not upset you and small type will .
    regards Bugs