Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X5 Crew Cab Conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

X5 Crew Cab Conversion

I have been researching if it's possible to get a 04 X5 converted into a 'crew cab' keeping the back seats but lowering the tax class. I will be using it for work. Technically, it seems that an X5 does not meet the technical dimension requirements. LWB Pajero's would for example, they remove seats 6&7.

However I spoke to a crowd in Meath who do crew cab conversions who told me they can do X5 crew cab conversions for €750 including the sign off report from a 'suitably qualified individual' (an registered engineer ) It is this sign off report which enables the vehicle to be switched from M1 to N1 tax class and to be then DOE'd.

Anyone have any experience of this ? It seems like a very grey area

There is one for sale on DD already crew cabbed.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: X5 Crew Cab Conversion

I've been looking into this for the last week or two as its something I will be considering in the new year. I've been looking at Land Rover Discovery 3's as I too was under the impression that the X5 couldn't be done.......but

There's an X5 with cre can status on donedeal at the moment for sale!

My understanding is it's easier to buy the 5 seater of whatever jeep your looking at as the rear 2 will not have to be removed then.

The shogun is an option too but not many of them in my police range.

BMWHaus Contributor

They do cars as vans and get the documents the same way.seen a few Mitsubishi 3000 gto made vans for the cheap tax.their work is good but I dunno if fully legal even though all paperwork is supplied..i would have thought the x5 wouldn't be long enough as the rear has to be a certain size.seen it somewhere for crew cabs.theres a way to work it out bit cant remember

BMWHaus Contributor

The x5 qualifies when the lower hatch is opened and the crowd in Meath fit a rear cage to act as a bulk head. I spoke to a mate last night about it but the biggest concern is the tax and insurance combo, if its taxed as a crew cab, its for employees only, you cant carry the wife and kids.

It's not that easy to get commercial tax. (€333 P.A)

When it's converted as a commercial, You'll need to:
    DOE it (€116),
    Goods only declaration signed by a Guard, (Basically you'll only use it for 'Commercial' purpose ONLY)
    Then you either need a VAT number on the tax form, Or a PPS number but they'll ask for either a Tax Clearance Cert from you (If self employed) or a letter from your employer stating you need a commercial for work.

Only good thing is, Once you've it taxed once as commercial, It's only just renew it the following year with no questions asked. (Doesn't work if there's a change ov owner though!)

Not sure how you would work with insurance?

That's what we had to do after we bought a commercial Transit Recovery.

BMWHaus Guru

X5 Crew Cab Conversion

Is the real saving not on VRT if you get one in from England as a commercial ?

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    Is the real saving not on VRT if you get one in from England as a commercial ?
    That can be done too but then you have to add the rear seats again and repay the VRT.

Best bet is a passenger car then crew can status.

But as mentioned above, you technically have to be using it for work only. Crew cabs are treated differently to commercials even. Crew cans can only contain employees of the owners company and must be during normal working hours and in the course of their duties.

If you think you may be carrying family then a standard commercial may be a better option but you lose the rear seats.

I know of a fella that converted a twin turbo supra to a van with no issues with tax as be has his own business. Once you get it done right there should be no problem.

I'm a self a employed surveyor and need a vehicle for work, I don't need to carry goods, just myself. I've been looking at buying an X5 anyway and am single with no kids and hardly ever have passengers so it makes perfect sense then to get it crew cabbed . It's €750 plus the DOE so as a once off saves a lot in annual tax.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Greenbush
    I'm a self a employed surveyor and need a vehicle for work, I don't need to carry goods, just myself. I've been looking at buying an X5 anyway and am single with no kids and hardly ever have passengers so it makes perfect sense then to get it crew cabbed . It's €750 plus the DOE so as a once off saves a lot in annual tax.
    To Crew cab it you must supply documentation to say you have at least 3 employees. That's where I fell short.